addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 76
Yesterday I was shocked and disappointed to see a hole in one of my teeth. It is about the size of a pin head and brownish in colour. I have fillings in most my teeth (3 amalgams since I was a young child) and the rest are white. I haven't needed fillings in the last few years though since eating WAPF and GAPS despite being pregnant and breastfeeding babies.

I do eat what I thought is good for my teeth. I am doing partial GAPS but I do have at least 1 cup raw milk kefir, 2 tsp fermented cod liver oil, 1/4 tsp butter oil, maybe 2 Tb of butter, 1/2 cup raw sour cream, 1 cup broth and 2 eggs per day. I also have bone marrow, liver and fish stock weekly and try to eat as much fat as possible. Cheese is a bit more rare as I don't think I digest it well. I've read Cure Tooth Decay and try to incorporate those things.

Do you think I can cure this decay? What's the best I can do, top up on to try? I already rarely eat grains, sourdough is just once or twice a week. I have a feeling I've been eating too much halva over the last few weeks (organic with just sesame's and honey) may be the culprit due to phytic acid. So I've eliminated that straight away.

I was hoping to avoid going to the dentist for another year as waiting to stop breastfeeding so I go see a holistic dentist and get my amalgams out finally. I'm worried about seeing a standard dentist now while breastfeeding as it will be a source of toxicity. I know I can ask for a white filling (but are they all equal, don't some have BPA) and I could refuse the pink rinsing liquid (has anyone done that? I have a feeling it has fluoride and probably other chemicals?). The tooth where I have the hole already has a white filling so I'm worried about drilling into the filling.

Any advice?
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,706
I always turn down routine x-rays and the pink mouth wash! Maybe go to a dentist just to check out the mark, as it may not actually be decay. It could simply be a stain? Just go there saying that all you want is a physical investigation and say no to anything you choose to avoid at this stage. They may find it odd, but have no authority to require you to do anything.
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 78
Yes I could do that but I'm sure it's decay not just staining as I got a pin and it went into the hole. So it's definitely a hole :-(

If you turn down pink mouth wash do they give you plain water to rinse instead? What reasons did you give to turn down the mouth wash?

They already think I'm strange and made me feel uncomfortable last time I went refusing x-ray etc. They said they never met anyone like me and thought it was strange I had concerns about amalgams!

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth the cost and hassle of trying to up to tooth building foods if it might not work anyway :-(
A former member
Post #: 5
Check your toothpaste doesn't contain silicia as this coats the teeth and stops absorption of those important vitamins and minerals you've been eating. Also, are you eating any fruit? That might contribute if you are. Plus I've just read that magnesium is also required to digest the vitamin D which may not be present in even organic vegetables because our soil is so depleted, and it's hard for your body to absorb it through food anyway. Try setting up a foot soak that contains magnesium chloride so that you can put your feet in when you're nursing. Mommyoctapus and WellnessMama blogs have both tackled tooth decay so you can find more tips/info on their websites.

I'd be interested if anyone has any other advice as I'm currently trying to repair my receeding gums which started since I got pregnant, inspite of following WAPF :( Guess I ate too many soaked grain muffins...
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,708
I didn't know that silica coated the teeth. Glycerin, in almost all toothpaste coats the enamel, inhibiting mineral absorption. This kindof limits you to things like tooth soap and homemade toothpastes unfortunately.
A former member
Post #: 6
Sorry, that should have been mommypotamus, I got my animals mixed up!

And thanks Phillip for pointing out my brain failure moment; silica could actually be good for your teeth, I was thinking of glycerin but for some reason typed silica.
Eleanor B.
user 20445061
London, GB
Post #: 148
Hi I just wanted to say I fixed my daughters poor teeth. She still eats more sugar than I'd like but eats very low (i know it is up to me ultimately but she has a fairly limited diet and needs the energy) grains and about a pint of raw milk a day and a fair amount of butter on veg. She also eats no cheese. I also gave her Epsom salt baths at the peak of it for magnesium. I think diet can cure tooth decay and you don't have to be 'perfect' but have to keep adapting until you work out what your body needs, maybe you need a boost of minerals - try epsomsts and eat more sea salt.
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 80
Thanks for the advice. I have been using glycerin free toothpaste for a long time now. Various types, either just coconut oil, or herbal tooth powder but usually this: http://www.mypure.co....­
For the last 2 years I have been having epsom salt baths occasionally, well at least once a month, and 2 months ago I started using a magnesium spray daily. As for minerals, I take 1 or 2 capsules of seagreens a day, I only use unrefined salt and I also occasionally have pollen.
Perhaps it's Vitamin K I need to work on?
I have read those stories on the blogs before. I think one of them talks about eating a lot of shell fish. I could try eat more of that as that's a rarity.

I've had another look at the dacay and it seems the hole is in the middle of a white filling! I'll have to get it checked but If that is the case can it still remineralise if within a filling? Also if I decide to get it filled do you think it could be harmful to drill through the white filling and refill? (especially since I'm breastfeeding a baby).

I try to eat as well as I can and don't eat sugar (I do have fruit though). It seems my body is still struggling to keep up with all the nutritional demands as baby is prioritised. This is my third baby but I'm eating far better now than ever before, that's why I'm, so upset. Perhaps I just need to eat more in general. I'll increase the cod liver and butter oil, double the raw milk/cream, and try to eat more butter in the day, cut down on nuts and fruit. Will see if there's any difference.
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,709
Not sure why you would need to cut down on fruit and nuts. Mother's milk is rich in lactose, and sugars like that are key to mental development. The brain runs on glucose. The main problem with carbs is when we don't have them with the co-factors of minerals and fat soluble vitamins, also when toxicity blocks metabolism. It is not that carbs are bad, just that they can't be consumed in isolation. When you are healthy, no reason why soaked, fermented and sprouted grains cannot be re-incorporated. Indeed, the full GAPS diet allows sourdough bread, for example.
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 81
Nuts have phytic acid don;t they? And I tend to notice that if i eat more fruit my teeth get sensitive. I didn't have the intention of cutting down on carbs though.
I do eat a little sourdough but feel I'm better off without as my digestion isn't perfect.

However if body doesn't have enough glucose I thought it can use fat for energy?? Isn't that right? Do vegetables have glucose? As that's my main source of carbs.