add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
Resha J.
user 95071012
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hi everyone. I 'm fairly new to the London Chapter and don't know if this has been asked many times already (apologies if so) but wondered if I could ask for some advice on sauerkraut. I've just been on Paolo and Lucia's very helpful day of WAPF cooking and thought my sauerkraut was coming along nicely but despite keeping it well covered with water it smells distinctly off / wrong. I used the cabbage stalk to keep the cabbage pressed down in the jar, as suggested by a fellow participant, and wasn't sure if this was the culprit but either way it doesn't seem right. Is it best to chuck it and start again?
Janet E.
user 14580816
London, GB
Post #: 15
Hi Resha,
Was there enough weight on the cabbage stalk to keep the kraut well down in the jar, under the water cover? and was there adequate celtic salt? I make a lot of sauerkraut myself, I love it. On the occasions it hasn't turned out as well (especially when I first started), it was usually one of these two things.
Hope its of some help to you. Good luck
Resha J.
user 95071012
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi Jane,

Many thanks for this reply. I'm fairly sure there was plenty of water, although it was covering the sauerkraut rather than the stalk per se. There was probably about 2 tablespoons of salt per jar (which consisted of a cabbage and couple of carrots). Next time I may attempt it again without using the stalk as am wondering if this was the issue! Thanks for your feedback!

Philip R.
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,713
If the cabbage stalk is above the water level, it will become rotten, and the rot can make its way down into the kraut. All material which can rot must be submerged. Given the amount of salt you are using, I doubt that is the problem.

If submersion doesn't work, you do not only have to increase salt, you can also add whey. Sally's Nourishing Traditions book goes into whey as an option. She provides recipes for both. Books from Sandor Katz are also indispensable.
Resha J.
user 95071012
London, GB
Post #: 3
Many thanks for this advice Philip, that's very useful.