addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › Pain in bellly button area

Pain in bellly button area

Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 90
Anyone have any idea what could be causing pain in the belly button area in a 5 year old?
It seems mild and tends to start in the evenings during/after dinner or when in bed falling asleep. It's been happening on and off for a while but last night it got worse and caused a sleepless night, with feeling sick/nauseaous.
I just don't know what to do. I think she's had a sensitive tummy since age 2 (I believe after a tummy bug that occurred shortly after finishing breast feeding) and started GAPS age 3 which has improved bowel movements but not helped this pain. She doesn't appear to have any other health issues though. Not on strict GAPS now though. She does have non soured raw cream/milk and occasional potatoes and sourdough bread.

A former member
Post #: 367
Have you ruled out an umbilical hernia?
Eleanor B.
user 20445061
London, GB
Post #: 150
Appendicitis pain does flare/ start behind belly button. I'd be taking mine to GP to rule out more dangerous/acute problems
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 91
Never heard of umbilical hernia but had a look at photos and the belly buttons look different/pushed out. Her's looks normal. Can they look normal?

So for appendicitis, a scan would be needed I assume? I didn't realise the pain could be in the belly button.

I'm just wondering why it could be the appendix. I thought appendix problems happen from toxicity? Since we eat 'clean' food why would the appendix get damaged now? Just trying to understand.

Will get her to see GP but would love to have advice from people anyway. GPs have often got it wrong with me and now I have a distrust or maybe a phobia of going to the GP. All they've ever done for me is try to fix things with medication.
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 92
Just been looking into appendicitis. Apparently, testing for is is only 80% accurate. And in 10% of cases, the operation is done to find the appendix was not inflamed. According to http://www.pedsforpar...­
Is surgery the only solution for appendicitis? This terrifies me. I met a woman in intensive care once who suffered multi organ failure following the removal of her appendix! It was so sad.

They say that the appendix is not a necessary organ. I don't really believe that even if we don't know what it's for. I have read stories of people who's health deteriorated after removal. But I do appreciate it can be life threatening if it bursts.
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 93
Just wondering. Is it possible she's had an inflammed appendix for 2 or 3 years! and it's just getting worse now?
A former member
Post #: 11
Dr Natasha had an interesting observation about similar pains. Does it follow a time of day/night pattern?
In any case, I would get the doc to check for appendicitis just in case
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 94
Geraldine, what was Dr Natasha's observation that you know about?

I used to think it came on in the evening (or got worse) but now she's saying she always had it since she remembers, and she feels it all the time but I still think it gets worse in the evening. She's never really vocalised it much before.

But thinking back she's had this kind of thing over the past 2.5 years. It seems to have all started after breastfeeding stopped at age 2 and she got a 'tummy bug' with pain in tummy and yellow diarrhea. Since then she did point to her belly button occasionally. I wonder if it has something to do with the MMR as that's the last vaccine she had at 18 months and there is research showing connections between MMR and IBD.
A former member
Post #: 368
Just received this article this morning!

http://www.foodrenega...­
A former member
Post #: 12
This theory about the appendix is largely in line with what we were taught in Natural Nutrition. However, I would still get it checked out.

Is there any chance that the pains could indicate the presence of parasites?