Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › Probiotics for babies

Probiotics for babies

A former member
Post #: 12
Hi all, I've started weaning my 6 month old on a combination of egg yolk, frozen raw liver, avocado, butter, coconut oil, meat stock and small quantities of appropriate veg but I'm keen to get probiotics into her diet as I had to take antibiotics towards the end of my pregnancy. I make water kefir but as that will have sugar and alcohol in it it's not my first choice. I see that GAPS recommends homemade yoghurt but I was wondering whether yoghurt from Yeos or Rachels would be ok? I'm not sure if I want to take on making yoghurt as I'm also wanting to start sourdough experimentation :)

Also I was wondering if anyone has tried Baby Biotic and if they're worth using?
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,723
Sally's Nourishing Traditions cookbook has a section on feeding babies, also check out her new book on babies plus, you will find some posts on diets for Mum and baby on the Children's Health section of the WAPF website, at this link and under the Health Topics tab:
http://www.westonapri...­
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,724
The Feeding Babies article states breast feeding for 6 to 12 months. If you are not able to continue breast feeding, maybe consider a transition to weaning with the WAPF recipe home made breast milk formula for the next six months?
A former member
Post #: 13
I'm only giving her food at lunch time and am still breast feeding her on demand. Some days she's completely disinterested in food and other days she gulps it down so I eat the leftovers :) But she watches us so intently when we're eating and drinking (and it seems we do that a lot when she's awake!) that I like to let her try and put the spoon in her mouth and hold the cup to her mouth - she's surprisingly good at it.

Anyway, any comment on the commercial yoghurt or baby biotics?
Rachel E.
Rachel_Elliston
London, GB
Post #: 96
I've seen Infantis powder (Biocare) recommended regarding probiotics for infants.

I have personally used Yeo Valley yoghurt when weaning my son, who has enjoyed very good health. I also make my own yoghurt as it is very easy to make. I decided to get into yoghurt making before trying out sour dough as infants shouldn't really eat bread/grain until they are nearer to two anyway, so i decided to order my food projects in line with my weaning program (Super Nutrition for Babies).

I also started making kefir (milk) to wean my son (for the bacteria) which he LOVED - started that around 8 mths. I added it gradually to banana or yoghurt so that he would get used to the taste as it is quite tart. i'm convinced this was the backbone of his immune system when he was taking it. He has now gone off it, so we stick to yoghurt. Kefir was an amazing supplement to breastfeeding too if he ever wanted more milk from me and I didn't have enough. This was usually at night. Once he got the taste for it, he would drink it from a cup.
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 101
Rachel, I think it was you, some time ago you said your baby didn't tolerate egg yolk or vomited maybe. How is he now with it?
Rachel E.
Rachel_Elliston
London, GB
Post #: 97
Yes it was me. I tried at 5 mths, 8 mths, then gave up until a yr and only gave him the whole egg mixed with veg. He was fine at a yr. If you are also having problems, it may be worth mixing the egg yolk with well cooked veg. it may be that the yolk is too dense/rich and so to mix it may help the stomach. i didn't think of trying that until he was a year, so I don't know if Micah might have taken it earlier.