Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › Grass fed beef at Costco??

Grass fed beef at Costco??

Tosin
user 110366572
London, GB
Post #: 19
We shop at Costco quite a lot and before I discovered NT I used to always get our steaks from Costco but stopped recently because I wasn't sure where their meat came from. Well my husband just sent me this link and it looks like they stock grass fed beef now! Here's a link http://www.costco.co....­

What do you guys think?
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,738
Sounds good, though many of the supermarkets, even top ones, so I've heard, grain finish their grass fed animals, which shifts the oils towards omega 6, to mention one of the issues. I would tend to ask whether the meat is grass or grain finished. Also, I am always a bit suspicious of purchasing meat from corporate supply chains, because the farmer rarely gets enough cash to do the best job, so I would tend to prefer to buy direct, but its not always possible to go to the farm shop / market and get mail order, so its always good to have compromise options so that when you are caught short of time, that you are still getting the best possible, given constraints.
Tosin
user 110366572
London, GB
Post #: 20
Hi Phillip, I spoke to the farm directly. I actually spoke to the farmer himself and he said that they're fed just grass until just before they're slaughtered and then they're given a combination feed of silage, sugar beets grown on their farm, wheat and yep, corn. Sigh... Like you said it would be a good compromise for times we can't get to Tablehurst, which is still coming out top of the pack.

I also called Costco to find out the sources of their regualr range of beef. I spoke to the butcher there and he said all their Aberdeen Angus beef is 100% grass fed but the scotch beef comes from cattle fed a combination. This was obviously a huge shock to me! Can they be trusted? I wonder if the butcher even knows this for sure, how much info are they even given??