addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › raw milk and freezing

raw milk and freezing

Barbara B.
user 64486242
London, GB
Post #: 1
I am continually frustrated by milk supplies in my area of east Norfolk , its an arable area with barely a cow to be seen.my nearest supplier of raw milk is over 30 miles away so obviously I wouldnt want to be going there every day ,once a week may be ok but would prefer slightly more between visits. I have read about the effects of freezing but given that it seems I must compromise ,is frozen /thawed raw milk better than unhomogenised but pasteurised Jersey milk ?
Are there any members in East Anglia ?
Tosin
user 110366572
London, GB
Post #: 24
Thawed milk is absolutely better than any pasteurised milk out there!
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,744
Freezing will obviously have some effect on some of the microbes, but all the enzymes will be intact and the milk hasn't been damaged by processing. I would prefer fresh, but freeze all the time to make sure I have continuous supply. We tend to pick up milk once every two weeks, so freeze half of it.

Of course, if you want to liven it up, add some kefir grains.
Tim
user 28774772
London, GB
Post #: 54
Pasturising milk will cut the nutrition down by half (pretty sure calcium gets hit the hardest) and in my opinion there is not enough evidence other than simple correlation to unhomo milk being safer than homogenized. With that in hand freezing your milk would be best.

However the cost of raw milk doesn't really seem cost effective unless your flush. I would recommend an alternative and in case your not already doing so saving the money for yeo valley/organic valley double cream; it comes un-heated (not 100% sure on this) the cattle are pasture fed. Getting double cream comes naturally un-homogenized and has a much better nutrient profile than butter with a much higher phosphorous content and of course complete with all the vitamins A-K; you can also churn it into butter if needed. Cream can be diluted into a milk like consistency as well or change it to sour cream and soak your grains with it which has been traditionally done for near a millennia.

Invest in the fermented cod liver fish oil and seaweed. If your after probiotics then id recommend sauerkraut its a bitter and improves digestion as well as populating the guts if you wish to stick the diary route then kefir is another option or addition. If your living in a hard water area then your already getting plenty calcium its the magnesium, Vit D and K that can be difficult to get.

Links to what i suggested:

http://www.foodforum....­

http://lifespa.com/da...­
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,745
There is no mass produced raw cream on the market. Yeo valley is certainly pasteurised. I would also beg to differ regarding homogenisation. I consider it more harmful, since the smashing of fat globules (and everything else) at high pressure causes unpredictable alterations to various fats and proteins.

For those lucky people with a local raw milk producer, it is very cheap at the farm gate. Yes, mail order and farmers markets can be more expensive than the farm gate, but actually tend to be cheaper than driving hundreds of miles routinely. However, I do agree that unhomogenised organic cream is the least worst of the processed crowd. I am fortunate, that I drive past a dairy once a week that has raw double cream.
Samuel
user 119255482
London, GB
Post #: 1
Frozen/thawed milk supersedes any Pasteurised milk of any kind.

My fiancee and i get our raw milk from WFM - shame they don't sell them by the gallon - and we refrigerate it and it keeps fine for the best part of a week.