Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 117
I came across this recipe (when listening to the gluten summit) http://www.bulletproo...­
and thought it sounded delicious especially sine I love egg yolks and have been craving them when pregnant and now breastfeeding. The recipe also includes MCT oil, so I bought some. To my surprise the bottle has a warning against children, lactating or pregnant women consuming it! Is that just because it is a saturated fat or is MCT oil really not good for you?
Anyone know more? A google search hasn't given me results.
lesley from K.
user 57284862
London, GB
Post #: 32
Try googling 'ketogenic diet' - there's lots there about MCTs. But be careful, there's a lot of wierd 'information' out there.
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 118
I wanted to avoid ketogenic diet as we just wanted to use it to supplement our normal WAPF/GAPS diet. No intention to go ketogenic. I think MCT oil is extracted from coconut oil, so I can't see why it would be bad?
lesley from K.
user 57284862
London, GB
Post #: 34
I totally understand - but the really comprehensive information on MCT oil that I've come across is all within the context of the ketogenic diet for control of epileptic seizures. If I came across a recipe that wanted coconut oil or MCT oil specifically I'd probably substitute cream simply because its cheaper (I looked at your ice-cream recipe - I'd use cream for the coconut oil and add grated coconut). When I idly googed to find out why pregnant/lactating women should avoid MCTs, the immediate reason seems to be that it can improve fat absorption and thereby raise headline cholesterol - although its the 'good' HDL rather than the 'bad' LDL that is raised. I'm sorry I can't offer 'advice' - I'm really interested, but I'm just passing on what I've read. For me its all about 'bang for your buck', pastured butter/cream is cheaper than imported coconut oil and, along with this, whenever I read about a pill I try and find what the key component is and see if I can substitute something natural. Like CO q10 - I eat lightly fried heart (from pastured cows) and get it that way!
Karen P.
user 96431082
Ash Vale, GB
Post #: 2
I listen to the bulletproof executive podcast where it seems you originally got the idea from. I would email David Asprey who runs the website or post on his Facebook page. I'd bet he'd answer you. Good luck
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,756
I asked Sally Fallon Morell, President of the Foundation. She states the following:
"I would just use coconut oil. There is no lauric acid in MCT, which is the most important one. Sally"
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 119
Thanks for your comments.
I did post a question on the bullet proof website but haven't had an answer (so far) so that's why I came here :)
I'll probably try the recipe anyway (in his talk he said it's good for hormones and for pregnant women-he made the ice-cream for his pregnant wife every day if I remember correctly), so he obviously thinks MCT oil is fine. I bet the warning on the bottle is due to cholesterol/saturated fat concerns.
I'll try the recipe anyway without the MCT but it says you need the MCT oil to get the texture right.
I doubt MCT oil would be worse than eating junk foo!
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 1,758
Of course MCT is not as bad as junk food, but the issue is, according to Sally, that it is inferior to raw, whole coconut oil.
Karen P.
user 96431082
Ash Vale, GB
Post #: 4
Dave Asprey of the Bulletproof Executive is a pretty thorough guy. He's done loads of self experimentation and is a voracious reader of scientific studies. He will often go against the nutritional thinking if he has reason to through science. He's a total geek about this stuff and probably has a good reason to go for MCT oil over coconut oil. He and his physician wife wrote The Better Baby book, which I think I'd personally follow if I were pregnant. Let us know how it goes.
Claire
user 47390302
London, GB
Post #: 120
He's not saying to use MCT over coconut oil. IN the ice cream recipe they are both included. I guess they have different benefits.