addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › soya free organic eggs

soya free organic eggs

Reams
user 7756001
London, GB
Post #: 1
Does anyone know of a source of organic eggs that havn't been fed any soya? According to the WAP site "Research clearly demonstrates that soy isoflavones are transferred into the yolk of chickens fed a diet containing a high concentration of soy isoflavones.15 This simply means you’ll add eggs from soy-fed chickens to your list of phytoestrogenic foods to avoid."

So are there any small producers of eggs that don't feed soya??
Valda R.
user 11277692
London, GB
I always buy Clarence Court eggs when I see them in the supermarket. According to their website,

In the same way that people are what they eat, the content of an egg is related to what hens consume. Hens that are healthy and well fed like Clarence Court birds, which enjoy a natural diet of grass and herbs as well as the finest vegetarian non-GM based cereal, will produce eggs with large yolks and a rich flavour.

Their eggs are much better than any other supposedly "free range" eggs I've bought from the supermarket, and at least as good as the ones I used to buy directly from a small local producer (so small, sadly, that her entire supply is usually snapped up by her immediate neighbours).
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 494
I find that, even the organic eggs in the supermarket taste nothing as good as the farmers market. At least at the farmers market you can ask them what they put in the feed. I miss the three hens we had growing up!! I'm hoping to get hens in our allotment some time soon.
A former member
Do you buy from Borough Market, Phil? Which farmers do you buy from?
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 518
Do you buy from Borough Market, Phil? Which farmers do you buy from?

Actually, we tend to buy from Stoke Newington or Islington Farmers Markets because we live in central london. Sometimes we go to Marlybone Farmers Markets. I go to www.brindisa.com/ at Borough to get cured fat to make lard, but we can't afford much of the stuff at Borough. The farmers markets tend to be way cheaper. We have a limited range of favorite farmers that we stick to. Have a small kitchen and even smaller budget. Compiling a list of grass fed meat, eggs etc, is something I'll bring up at the next meeting. I'd like to get one with a google type application so you can easily find your local sources. Maybe even hook one up to i-phone apps at some point?
caroline
user 11812129
Todmorden, GB
Post #: 13
i have been trying to find a local source of good eggs.

I was disappointed to find out that the ones sold at stokey market are fed soya.

the ones at my local market in ally pally are fed grain. the woman said the hens would not produce eggs if they were not and looked at me like i was mad &/or stupid when i suggested otherwise.

the clarence court ones are fed cereal too. i understood this was something we should try to avoid because of phytates... is that right? maybe in the winter they need grain?

anyone know?
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 532
Damn it. I think I must have been having eggs fed on Soya. We need to start educating farmers about soya feed. Please let farmers know that you want to avoid soya and ask if they can stop using it in the feed. If nobody tells them, they will never change. Some work needs doing on this issue.
Valda R.
user 11277692
London, GB
Post #: 8
Caroline: you may find this post on the proper preparation of grains at Whole Health Source interesting. Phytates are one problem with grains, gluten and similar proteins another. Stephan addresses the problem of plant phytates in several other posts as well - they don't just occur in grains.

As for eggs from grain-eating chickens - not ideal, perhaps, but birds digest grains very much more effectively than human beings do. I doubt they do well with soya, though, so that's something I would worry about much more.
Lorna
user 11805001
London, GB
Post #: 16
We need Keith to get chickens, then we can have milk, cream, and eggs all delivered together!!!
caroline
user 11812129
Todmorden, GB
Post #: 14
phil - i did decline to buy the eggs at stoke newington when he told me the hens were fed soya, but the guy working on the stall holder wasn't the farmer - who as usual had a queue a mile long at the meat stall so i couldn't speak to him.
if you go to his meat stall, maybe you could have a word with him.

it would be useful to have a leaflet we could give them...