Weston A. Price Foundation - London Chapter Message Board › soya free organic eggs

soya free organic eggs

Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 588
Hi Diana. Since insect larvae are widely available for fishermen, I see no reason why chicken farmers can't employ similar methods to get the extra protein their chickens require, and yes, mixing cattle and more with chickens is a great idea. I'd imagine chickens would mix well with pigs also, what with the pigs constantly digging up ground to expose worms and more. And sprouted seeds should be sufficient in place of processed feed. I mean, we go for eggs to avoid processed foods, but feed our chickens processed food, so in the end, do we gain much?

We ABSOLUTELY must target farmers over this. It is their requests and demands that will change the suppliers. Consumers have little control over suppliers because our rants to them are not tied to contracts they have with farmers, but if the farmers learn that they can gain extra custom by choosing appropriate feeds, and understanding what feeds are appropriate, then the industry will slowly change, and I'll be sure to promote any farmer who demonstrates appropriate feed.
Reams
user 7756001
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hey again,
I just wanted to say I found a source of soya free eggs! (I also get eggs from a farm where the farmer keeps some eggs aside for me from a group of chickens that are not fed the 'pellet's, but i only go there every few months so was looking for a source closer to home..)

Anyway they are called Galileo farm, and they are at marylebone farmers market in london!
Around the time i started this thread i started emailing as many organic egg producers as i could asking what was in their feed. Every single one had soya. Then i noticed there was a new producer at marylebone and i asked them, and luckily they mill their own feed and they do not buy any soy at all. They buy their feed from a nearby organic farm (field beans, and other stuff). Their website is http://www.fossewayor...­

I agree we need to start asking farmers what they feed their chickens, and hopefully they will become aware that it is an issue.
I remember seeing an article somewhere directed to farmers, explaining why feeding soy to animals is so terrible, i'll try and have a look for it..
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 590
Thanks Reamika. I'll contact them and see if they are willing to provide these to order. I'm sure people will pay a premium for such a wonderful service. If they agree, they'll be the first in our list of soy free eggs. Thanks so much for doing this leg work and, let me know if you want a hand with it.

Regarding letting farmers know, yes, we need an article on feed and, can print out Soy Alert fliers. So, let me know if yhou can find that article again and I'll include it in a soy free section.
Diana K.
user 11200393
London, GB
Post #: 6
I wonder if you could find out the recipe for the chicken feed they are using - Maybe I'd be able to replicate it for my chickens.

Thanks,
Diana
Diana K.
user 11200393
London, GB
Post #: 9
I'm still interested in finding a recipe for chicken feed that doesnt use soy. Here is an interesting link although I can't get these ingredients easily (crab meal anyone???). At least it is a starting point if one is to begin taking this up with farmers.

http://www.themodernh...­

A former member
Post #: 25
Thats why chicken used to taste of fish, they must have been using crab meal to feed them. The left over meat scraps sounds good. I remember as a child putting leftover food scraps for the birds and they took the meat first.
Reams
user 7756001
London, GB
Post #: 3
Hey, sorry for getting back to you late but i found out what galileo farm feed their chickens...They feed mostly beans, barley and wheat, in addition to letting the birds eat all the bugs and insects they like. They mentioned that their particular breed of chicken does well on a mostly forage diet, but some birds need more grain in order to lay eggs. They also said, if you only have a few chickens, it would be advisable to get hold of maggots to feed them, so they get enough protein without the soy...
HTH
Philip R.
Phil_Ridley
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 602
I guess tho that, if you get maggots for chickens, what are the maggots fed on!!
caroline
user 11812129
London, GB
Post #: 20
i have been emailing a few suppliers and have had this reply from sainsbury's re. their organic woodland eggs -

Our Woodland farm egg range is indeed soya free. These chickens are fed on natural cereal and grains. I hope you find this useful and thanks for taking the time to contact us.

i had this very strange, ambiguous reply from clarence court and have asked for clarification -

Our hens free range on Wheat, Barley, Corn, Grain and as far as our farm
manager is aware the soya content of the feed has remained the same. All we
can do is sympathise with your condition. There is nothing we can do. What
we suggest you do is to continue looking at other eggs, contacting their
farms for more information.

incidentally, i never said i had a condition.... just want to avoid eating anything toxic!
A former member
Post #: 19
also, I've noticed Organic Farmed Salmon often has soya included in the feed.