December 21, 2013 · 2:30 PM
Oelsner Park Boat Ramp
Hey Wet Dogs, this is a monthly trip with the Pasco Paddlers. They asked that we help promote their paddle to our group. Just sign up here and join them as they usually get over 30 paddlers and more on these trips.
Their next scheduled trip is on Saturday December 21st. They will be paddling from Oelsner Park in Port Richey to Robert K. Rees Memorial Park (AKA Green Key). Here are some details.
· Launching at 3:15 pm from Oelsner Park. All must be ready to go at 3 pm.
· You will need to drop off your boat at Oelsner Park and then drive to Green Key and park your vehicles. We will shuttle you back. Last shuttle leaving Green Key will be at 2:30 pm. It is important that you pre-register so we can ensure we can get everyone shuttled.
· There is a $2 parking/user fee at Green Key.
If you need a kayak for this paddle please email Carolina Mike at: [masked] to reserve a kayak.
· We will all paddle together to the mouth of the Cotee River and then split up with a guide with each group. One trip will do the inside passages (approx. 4.5 miles) and the other will take a more direct route (approx. 3.5 miles). Lots to see and experience either way.
· Inside passage will be shallow in areas with some obstacles which will demand single file in a couple of areas and some tidal current near the two bridges we will go under. The outside passage will be in open water – wind could be the only real factor.
· All will meet at Green Key on the beach and we will have a bonfire waiting for us. Bring food and drink and marshmallows, and chairs to sit in. Bring at least one paddling story to share.
· All will be required to sign a waiver before launching as part of our group.
· Be prepared for cold – we will go unless it is raining or toooo windy. Last year it was cold, but the wind, slowed at dusk. Here's two pics from last year - awesome.
· We will try to maintain at least 2.5 miles per hour. Sunset is at 5:40 pm and tide is high at 3:12 pm