Wet Dog Adventures Message Board › Info on buying a kayak can I use this one?

Info on buying a kayak can I use this one?

A former member
Post #: 1
Not sure if I"m allowed to post on here Sorry if I broke any rules. Looking into getting a kayak am very new at this and don't know much so thought I would ask the pros. I was looking into a tandam kayak. Do I want a ocean one right away? Can you take a sea one out on the ocean? How are the inflatable ones would be easier storage and lighter to handle? What price would I be looking at for a decient one nothing to top end. I'm looking at manta tandem kayak (it can fit all 3 of us) would I be able to use this on most or all the trips you guys take? They have it at wind n water sports.
Thanks for the info
Lisa
A former member
Post #: 4

For what it's worth, I researched the different kayaks online and found that they are up to the individuals taste. (Kind of like shoes) We went to a few places and tried them out (Bill Jackson's, perception and Wilderness dealers, rented for a day) I got good information from the stores, I told them what I liked and disliked and they made good suggestions.

A former member
Post #: 3
I'd recommend checking out the kayaks and prices at Canoe County Outfitters on 54th Avenue in St. Pete; very knowledgeable people and often they have some demos for sale as well. Some good brands/lines, I think, include the Perception "Carolina", any of the Current Designs "Double Vision" or "Libra XT" (high end and expensive), and the Eddyline "Whisper".
Carolina M.
user 3883127
Group Organizer
Safety Harbor, FL
Post #: 65
Lisa,

Your best bet would be to do a few demos with various kayak makes and sizes. The fine folks at Bill Jacksons Shop for Adventure located in Pinellas Park would be happy to take you out on the lake to tryout a few. In my experience most people under buy what they think they want or need. Meaning they buy something quickly and discover that it's not enough boat to do a longer trip. Find our where you'd like to paddle, how far, and how often. Sea Kayaks are more for touring trips of 5 or more miles. Recreation kayaks are for shorter trips. Keep in mind your kayaking skill will increase the more you get out there and paddle, so your first kayak may not be enough for you in a year or so. Good thing kayaks are in high need, so you can always upgrade and not loose too much on selling your original.

We offer a kayaking class in this group to help you gain skill and have fun.

Good luck and we hope to see you on more trips.

Carolina Mike (group founder and facilitator)