The Pittsburgh Whole Food Nutrition Meetup Message Board › Any Paleo folks?

Any Paleo folks?

A former member
Post #: 4
how did you justify the change from veg to paleo in your mind? i am curious. were you only veg for health reasons and not due to animal compassion?

hi rick...

i was vegan long enough to know that i will *never* discuss my reasons for eating meat with a vegan. wink

~stephy

Diane Carver S.
movedalot
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 1
You might want to check out Kretschmannfarm.com . They are a CSA which provides fresh organic produce throughout the growing season. They also partner with other farms offering grass-fed beef and organic, pasture-raised chicken. There are also options for cheese, mushrooms and coffee. The intro to their site says "The Kretschmann Farm provides Pittsburgh area customers with organically grown produce, fruits, and meats. We offer subscriptions to be delivered to your neighborhood or business. This convenient arrangement has become known as CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). "

I also follow the Food Lover's Primal Palate - great website. I do the same for the grocery stores and find depending on the location some of the Giant Eagles carry a decent selection. I've also found some great nitrate-free sausage at Costco. I'm not 100% grass-fed beef - I will when I can but for a family of 3 I just can't afford all grass-fed/organic all the time. I'm so ready for farmers markets to get more local stuff and keep telling myself I need to find time to utilize the Strip District more. I've heard the East End Co-op is great as well.

When I go out to eat I just try to stick with what I know are Paleo options and realize it's probably not 100% cause the grilled chicken or steak probably has butter, etc. I saw on the Primal Palate blog they went to Legumes - looks like a place I'd love to check out - they are moving to Oakland so hoping when they move I can go eat there. I have a friend who does Paleo and said the Pittsburgh Burger Company was great but I haven't had a chance to check it out!

I love hearing where people find the best places/prices to get local options. This is all new and I'm fairly new to Pittsburgh so I'm always learning new things!

Nick L.
nickladieu
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 44
Just checking in! Another paleo guy here. Well I consider myself more aligned with Primal (Mark Sisson) as we do enjoy our grass fed dairy products!

We are also big fans of the Weston Price folks.
Nick L.
nickladieu
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 45
We buy a 1/4 side of beef per year from Burns Angus Farm. FANTASTIC BEEF!! I can't say enough good things. Start saving your nickles. I arrange a group buy every year towards the beginning of winter when the steer start putting on fat. This is the best time to buy and generally the time they are slaughtered and ready to be purchased (no accident)

oh, i forgot to ask....what Paleo/Primal resources have you found, locally?

there is a blog i follow: The Food Lovers' Primal Palate the blogging couple is from pittsburgh. :)

what restaurants & markets do you like?

i usually hit Market District and Whole Foods, for groceries. i'm looking forward to farmers market season! oh, and i might make a trip out to Soergels Orchards...just found out they carry grass-fed beef.

for eating out (i haven't tried that since going Paleo) i might try Moe's...they offer grass-fed sirloin. i saw some Facebook chatter about Chipotle restaurants serving naturally raised/pastured meats. i was hoping to hit Fuddrucker's at the Waterfront (they serve bison burgers) but they are now closed. there is a new burger joint that opened in that spot...Pittsburgh Burger Company, i think...their website mentioned something about natural angus beef. so that might be another possibility.

~stephy