The Pittsburgh Whole Food Nutrition Meetup Message Board › Health Benefits of Kombucha

Health Benefits of Kombucha

Elisa B.
user 11175121
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 2
Hi,

What experience to folks have with kombucha? I know it is wonderful for our digestive system. What is your favorite flavor and do you like to make your own? I've just started experimenting with using kombucha babies and making my own. It is fun and delicious!

Come to Schwartz Market at 1317 East Carson Street in the historic South Side this coming Saturday, April 30, 2011 between 9:00 AM and 1:00 PM to buy a few different varieties of kombucha. Go to http://1317eastcarson...­ for more details about this awesome food project and Join Schwartz Market on Facebook! Elisa Beck
A former member
Post #: 16
Elisa, if i was a betting man i'd say you're trying to use this board to sell things. tsk tsk!

kombucha is fabulous, but the article says you're selling the stuff made in Troy Hill. Why are you selling someone else's kombucha when you already make your own? shouldn't you sell your own?

Red Star kombucha is great-tasting, but very expensive at $3.25 for a 12-oz bottle. It actually costs more per ounce than GT's and other kombuchas that are made across the country and shipped here. That, in my opinion, sucks. Local food should not cost more than the same item from California.
Elisa B.
user 11175121
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 3
Hi Rick,

We do not make our own kombucha, but it sure would be great to start a kombucha/ fermented foods non-profit or for-profit business, don't you think? Imagine healthy and healing foods being sold for reasonable prices right here in our town! We are working to create a local healthy food project in South Side at the site of Schwartz Market. What will ultimately develop there remains to be seen. We are working to promote local foods in our town. We are trying to determine if the community would like to start a co-op, we have registered our project as a living building renovation of an existing historic structure and are working on healing practices from the inside out starting with real food.

I agree that it is unacceptable for items that are shipped across across country cost less than what is produced here, but in my opinion, this is a result of agribusiness in our country and corporations being subsidized by our tax dollars. The cradle to cradle costs of real food at this point in time are real expensive.

I'd love to continue the conversation with you in person if this board is not wanting to talk about the real cost of real food and how to go about bringing more real food production and permaculture to our town! Our project is about the question of how to go about this. come over on Saturday to talk, just talk, not to buy anything. Whatever is being sold at the Schwartz Market at this point in time is not making any money right now....It is just a few healthful items and all an exploration at this moment and we need this community's constructive input, not a tsk tsk! What is GT's Kombucha?