The Pittsburgh Whole Food Nutrition Meetup Message Board › Weston Price / Paleo

Weston Price / Paleo

Nick L.
nickladieu
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 42
Hello, just a quick introduction thread. We eat a mostly paleo style diet but are starting to incorporate raw dairy as well. We feed this diet to our son who will turn 2 next month. Having read the works of Weston Price we are trying to incorporate bone broth and fermented foods as staples in our diet.

One neat thing we are undertaking right now is making vegetable and fruit Kvass. This is a strained fermented drink. I add it to seltzer water to make a healthy homemade "soda" It has a glycemic load of zero and very few calories.. I make my own kraught and plan to make traditional dill pickles this year as well.

I arrange grass fed beef purchases in bulk for a group of local people working with local farmers and we will be doing the same with pork this year as well. We get our beef from Burns Angus Farm and they have a fabulous and very well marbled small breed of black angus steer.

I am very knowledgeable about grass fed beef in particular and am currently writing an eBook on the subject which will hit Amazon next month.

Beyond that I love to cook, and if you mention BBQ around me I am apt to go off on a very long tangent on the subject. Also I love any type of traditional skills such as fermenting foods and making homemade sausage.

I'm also big into gardening, and I have started 170 plants just this year. I have a small scale orchard, keep bees, and am building a chicken coop at the moment. We have done the CSA thing a few years in a row, but decided that this year we really wanted to push our garden for more production and also not having money tied up in a CSA frees us up to buy goods in bulk locally when they are at the peak production for canning and dehydrating.

I hunt and plan to expand my hunting prowess to other seasons beyond Deer. I'm working on archery skills right now so I can take advantage of that season as well.

So there you go, this should give you a good feel for me and what I'm about. I'm really interested to meet other people who are into alternative wellness practices and find out what they are all about and where they are coming from.

I'd also love to get more people eating affordable, local meats if they are interested and less people buying overpriced meats online or at whole foods, this is something I am passionate about.

Looking forward to meeting people.

-Nick