add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Pittsburgh Wine Meetup Group Message Board › Catching up - and Lets BYO it next week???

Catching up - and Lets BYO it next week???

Group Organizer
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 38
HAPPY MAY everyone!!!

I just renewed the Meetup group dues.
Well (Grape Thoughts did - thank you Grape Thoughts!)

Did you know we were one of the very first Meetup groups in Pittsburgh?
It has been so fun to meet new wine lovers, and seek out new wines, and new places.

We had a fun meetup at Eden with good friends, good wine, and yummy raw food!

We got to talking about BYOs.

I published a post on the Grape Thoughts website about BYOs.
Are any of your favorites missing? Let me know we will add it!

Anyone up for hitting a BYO next week?

Lets start a discussion! We have nearly 800 members.
Not everyone is available every day.
Id like to start having more frequent meetups - and get others involved.

Im thinking Tues, Wed or Thurs - or maybe three different events?

Lets start some discussion here and maybe narrow it down to a poll.

Look forward to seeing some ideas - if not YOU - soon!

user 47966292
Wexford, PA
Post #: 1
I'm new to the group, and I very much like the idea of more frequent meetings! Three different events, maybe every other week?? Looking forward to meeting everyone, soon!
A former member
Post #: 1
John and I love going to Narcissi winery on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. They have a picnic table area where you can bring your own food, but you need to purchase the wine you drink there.

We both really loved the meetup at the art gallery. Perhaps we can do a similar style meet up like that, even with other art or craft types. People do tend to be freer with their money with a little alcohol in them.

I'm a big jazz fan, if we can combine some Jazz and wine, that would be heaven!

We won't be able to attend for a couple of weeks though, I had surgery last Thursday and will need a few more weeks to recover before I can spend some time out and about. He also has a business trip right about the time, I won't need as much fussing over and support.
A former member
Post #: 2
Oops, missed the subject BYO

Many places that sell their own wine will also let you BYO with a corking fee. If you are going to a restaurant and happen to have the perfect wine at home, call ahead and ask about a corking fee. You will probably have to speak to the manager, but often managers are quite interested in what wines patrons bring.

Actually that may not be a bad idea for a meet up! Pick out a restaurant and have people bring different wines that they think would go with that cuisine. Especially a restaurant that has applied for a liquor license or is developing its wine list. They might appreciate input on what wines to carry.
user 4756340
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 44
Would love to do more frequent casual meetups! The more meetups, the more likely one will coincide with my schedule :-)

Would love to do more get-togethers at local wineries like the one you did at Arsenal Cider House. Love Narcisi, but my all time favorite is Kavic in Carnegie.

A former member
Post #: 32
I have not attended any events yet because most meetups are either in the North Hills or East End. I live in Carnegie, and have never heard of this Kavic - but am most anxious to try it if you want to meet there!
A former member
Post #: 53
My wife and I really enjoyed the bus tour that the group did a few years back.
user 7613403
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 2
I was thinking along the lines of a meetup at Hartwood or First Fridays at the Frick, in conjuction
with a concert at one of those places.
user 6051049
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 9
I work evenings during the week, but would like to see some Fri-Sun meetups
user 3318340
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 4
What about at Hartwood Acres again? Joan Osbourne is there on Sunday, June 3. Or during the week-Wed, June 13 music at the mansion suggested $5 donation but can bring picnics and coolers also.