"Heartland Farm Sanctuary, founded in 2009, is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping homeless farm animals in Wisconsin, and building connections between animals and vulnerable youth. We created Heartland to provide a safe, peaceful environment where youth and farm animals could come together to heal, grow, and have fun." (http://heartlandfarmsanctuary.org/)
This is a family friendly event; bring your significant others and kids.
There is NO COST for attending this event; at-will donations are welcomed on grounds.
We'll help out with Spring Cleaning activities and then will have some down time to spend interacting with some of the animals. The activities will include:
- Overall barn and grounds Spring cleaning
- Deep cleaning stalls
- Sweeping floors and sweeping down cobwebs
- Surface and feeder/water trough cleaning
- General organizing of equipment and storage bins
- Interacting personally with the animals that are used to being around people/kids. You'll get to see, touch and interact with a large variety of animals: chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, pigs, goats, sheep, horses, and llamas. You even see some of the their friendly birds walking around free during the day.
What to bring:
- Beverages for you and your guests - we'll have water available
- Your own marked water bottle/cup
What to wear:
- Comfortable work clothing; clothing will get dirty and will smell like a barn
- Water proof shoes/boots (the barn does have some rubber boots available also)
- Work gloves
- Weather appropriate clothing (the barn is not heated or air conditioned, so the barn will always be about the same temperature as it is outside)
NOTE: the farm will have a porta-potty available not an actual bathroom.
We'll be limiting the event to 25 people total including members and their guests so we do not overwhelm the animals. Please be sure to update your RSVPs as soon as you can to open spots for those on the waiting lists as I'd really like to have a full work crew.