addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

East Valley Women's Fiction Club Message Board › Book Suggestions!

Book Suggestions!

Kristine
user 5471781
Group Organizer
San Tan Valley, AZ
Post #: 38
Let's start a thread of suggestions for future book selections!

Despite the title of the group non-fiction suggestions are also welcome! Maybe I should change the name.....
Dayna S.
user 20878061
Mesa, AZ
Post #: 2
How about (you might be sorry you asked): Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - classic, sad, but wonderful book. Into the Wild by John Krakauer - it's nonfiction and I heard it was good haven't read it yet. Crooked Letter Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin - a story about two friends one black one white set in the South in the 70s. The Hunchback of Nieman Marcus by Sonya Sonnes - free verse like Sharp Teeth and very funny. Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell - nonfiction about the loss of Seal Team 10, heard it was great haven't read it. Two books I've heard about and wanted to read for years but haven't yet - The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. And on the goofy side of guilty pleasures a hilarious book called Fool by Christopher Moore.

See you guys tonight!!!

Dayna
Kim P.
KimPeterson
Mesa, AZ
Post #: 17
I'd like to suggest The Round House by Louise Erdrich. It won the National Book Award for fiction last year. It centers around a 15-year-old boy whose mother was brutally raped and almost set on fire. The book is set on a Native American reservation. It's a very complex book -- starts off as a mystery to find out who did it, then turns into a revenge novel. It's a coming-of-age book throughout, and also delves deeply into issues about family, culture and friendship.