What's going onnnnnnn, everybody?! Are you ready for another amazing WordPress meetup in San Francisco?
I know I am :-)
The next meetup will be on:
Thursday, June 26th from 6PM to 8PM at Automattic's beautiful new space at 132 Hawthorne
PSA: Before we get into the details, 2 quick Public Service Announcements.
1) After the last meetup, some folks stuck around outside the venue a bit too late. Let's make sure to clear out of the Automattic offices once thee meetup is over and clean-up starts. If you want to hang out after, take it upon yourself to organize a gathering at a local watering hole, not out in the street in SoMa. Deal?
2) Do you want to volunteer to help the Organizers with set up and tear-down of meetups in general? There's usually some logistics that need taking care of before and after each meetup, and we could use a few folks who can help keep the events running smoothly. If you'd like to be an amazing volunteer and help the organizers out with the setup and tear down, please fill out this form, and Austin Gunter will be in touch!
Yes, I want to be a Meetup Volunteer: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1nMIWtIu4wHUN4htUEv_WP3bVDpHcgqoz7bs4fgur2NU/viewform
NOW, are you ready to rock?
This Meetup will have an opening act, and a headliner. Think about it like going to see the Rolling Stones in concert. Except, instead of electric guitars, the presenters will have MacBooks. And instead of "Peace, Love, and Rock & Roll," it will be more like "Peace, Love, and Open Source."
The topics will be aimed at the folks who want to take "WordPress 101." If you're still new to the technology, this meetup is designed with you in mind.
6:00- 6:30 Doors Open, networking and PIZZA
6:30-6:50 Opening Act, "Living in the Age of Drive-By Readers"
7:00-8:00 Headliner, "Fact: Don't be a nO0b - Keep WordPress Secure."
What's the headlining speaker going to talk about? Security.
That's right, everyone's favorite thing to talk about. How to keep your WordPress site secure. Keeping your site secure is easier than you might think, and we've asked one of San Francisco's best WordPress Developers and WordPress Educators, Jaki Levi of Arrow Root Media, to give a special presentation on how you can keep all of your WordPress sites happy and hacker-free.
Fact: Every day, a WordPress site gets hacked. Fact: You can be part of the solution
In this session, we will review:
- Why WordPress sites get hacked in the first place
- What you can do to keep your site secure 24/7
- What security services you can use to clean up your site
- How to prevent a hack in the first place
About Jaki Levy
Jaki Levy is a WordPress pro. He runs Arrow Root Media, a WordPress shop based in San Francisco. His company has built, unhacked and secured over 500 WordPress sites and was recently featured on WP Engine's blog. Jaki also teaches WordPress workshops throughout San Francisco and enjoys riding his bike to Ocean Beach.
The opening act will kick off at 6:30 and do a lightning round talk on:
Living in the Age of Drive-By Readers
Thanks to Twitter, Reddit, Google and hordes of other services,
readers are increasingly landing on individual post pages, never even
seeing your homepage. We'll talk about re-imagine the individual post
as the new homepage and discuss a range of options increase engagement
by showing readers the depth and breadth of your site.
About Ryan Singel
Ryan Singel was a reporter and editor for Wired.com for a decade,
until he left to run Contextly, a content recommendation service for
Thanks everybody! Looking forward to seeing you all on the 26th!
-Austin Gunter, and the SFO Meetup Organizers