addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

WordPress Knoxville Message Board › Topic Idea: Writing a WordPress Plugin

Topic Idea: Writing a WordPress Plugin

daryl
dllh
Knoxville, TN
Post #: 32
Somebody suggested last night that at a future meetup, we walk through how to write a basic WordPress plugin. I was a little skeptical, since our split seems to be mostly between people who already know very well how to write a plugin and people who're more into writing content (who might be terrified at the prospect of looking at code, or at the very least simply uninterested in the topic).

Here's your chance to weigh in. Would you enjoy a talk about how to write a basic plugin? It'd be pretty entry-level, but we'd have to start with the assumption of some knowledge of basic coding concepts, or at least a readiness to plunge forward in the darkness.

I think the expectation we'd set here would be not so much that attendees could go right home and code up a great plugin but more to cultivate a general idea of how WordPress and plugins work. Actually writing a plugin would likely take a good bit more time and effort later, but with the foundation explained, perhaps it'd be easier for users to assess other plugins or build on plugins that already do mostly (but not quite) what's desired.

So, what do you think? Interested? Would you rather stick needles in your eyes than attend such a program?
Sherri G.
user 12775495
Knoxville, TN
Post #: 11
I'd be interested. Might even pique my husband's interest in coming.
Pat
PatDTN
White Pine, TN
Post #: 2
I would love to learn as well. At the very least it would help me understand what is involved and what my possible risks are in using someone else's plugin.
Wendy B.
user 51209912
Knoxville, TN
Post #: 1
Re a meet up on creating a plugin:

I have not yet made it to a meeting--this week's sounded useful-- sorry I was unable to come, but I read the notes. Thanks for posting.. I don't think I would be interested in learning the basics of writing a plugin. I have four Wordpress sites I use in my business, but I'm one of those people afraid to go to CSS because I don't want to mess things up. Two things that would be much more useful to me: (1) Knowing more about style sheets, in order to make minor changes to the template without fear of sitemageddon, and (2) Knowing more about some of thoe most useful plugins--which "top five" I should definitely download, why, and how they will make my site better. This may be a little basic for this group. Anyway, whatever you do I will try to get there next time. Wendy Besmann
daryl
dllh
Knoxville, TN
Post #: 33
Wendy, we've actually done meetings on both of these topics and will likely do so again (especially the plugin swap). One tip about CSS -- if you install the Jetpack plugin, which comes with loads of other handy things as well, you get a handy CSS editor that lets you preview your CSS before saving and keeps revisions of your changes so that you can roll back in any case.
Wendy B.
user 51209912
Knoxville, TN
Post #: 2
Thanks--i have Jetpack installed--i will take it out for a test drive (mixing my for metaphors).