You can organize this Meetup!

This Meetup no longer has an Organizer.
Without an Organizer, it will disappear from our website in 8 day(s).

You can join this Meetup and become the Organizer.

World Music Meetup Group Message Board Organizing Successful Meetups › future of the World Music Meetup Group

future of the World Music Meetup Group

A former member
Hi,

It seems that the person who set up the meetup group is no longer interested in participating. In order to keep it going, someone needs to step up as Organizer, and pay the ~ $150/year fee.

Any takers?

It also seems that interest in the group is at a low, despite having well over 1,000 members. I've organized several meetups in the last year, and we typically get from 5-10 people at each. I don't think I've met any of the other co-organizers, or seen many of them at events.

Maybe we're just not posting the kinds of meetups people are looking for. Spamming the site continues to be a problem, as event organizers often post gigs without any intention of actually hosting a meetup

I believe we can charge people to be a part of the group. My thought is that even asking for $1 will dramatically reduce the membership.

Any thoughts?

Matt Heberger
Richmond, CA
A former member
Post #: 3
What is the $150 for? I think asking members for a buck or two is reasonable, especially if they are not asked to do anything else. What does the organizer do, besides being granted the ability to post things?
A former member
Post #: 6
i can see how getting donations from a music meetup would be difficult. With a reading group meetup, or some sort of group that meets in a cafe or sit down situation, members are faced with a "donation jar". Even then though, if you want to cover the 70$ each 6 mos fee it is still difficult unless the membership is at least 200. I dont get why people wouldnt see that this conduit for meeting other people isnt worth at least 2 bucks.
Paula M.
user 12084997
Walnut Creek, CA
Post #: 35
A smallish member fee, assessed each time a member RSVPs for an event, sounds logical and fair to me. Something that'd ultimately cover the organizer costs while also encouraging people to show up at an event, without being so pricey that it scares people away. And if there were money left over by year's end, it could potentially go toward some kind of special event costs or maybe wine or food at a Meetup group gathering....

Frankly, I've never understood why Meetup charges such big annual fees to organizers.

(The only times I think the big organizer fees are totally logical are when the organizers are either clearly making a profit on events in and of themselves or are using Meetup to promote their main or side businesses. Those organizers should definitely pay. But as for the rest of us... we're just on Meetup to have fun and meet more people with similar interests. Too bad Meetup doesn't just charge everyone a small set monthly fee the way the old Bay Area Linkup group did - you'd pay $4.95 a month to BAL, regardless of how many events you attended. Simple, straightforward, affordable.)
G P
user 12805146
Alameda, CA
Post #: 2
Well I see the events but usually can only attend a few a year, but I love seeing what's happening
in SF. I am happy to chip in $10! I really appreciate that this meetup exists.

Glo