addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

WPGR - Grand Rapids WordPress Meetup Message Board › Are all the comments in spam box spam? Should I automatically delete them?

Are all the comments in spam box spam? Should I automatically delete them?

A former member
Post #: 3
Hi everyone,

I have received comments in my spam box in my blog. Should I assume that all comments that go into the spam box are spam? One time I have written "testing" in the comment section to see where my comment may end up. And I found it on the spam box. How can I make sure all the comments in the spam box is spam?

Lisa
A former member
Post #: 7
Lisa, the methods for blocking spam are imperfect, so some legitimate messages are bound to be marked as spam. You should be able to mark them as not spam, and the antispam software should learn and become more accurate over time.

You can configure your comment and antispam settings. Are you using WordPress.com, or self-hosted WordPress (WordPress.org)? If WordPress.com, see this WordPress.com Support article about moderating comments.

If using the self-hosted version, this Codex article covers the same settings. You'll also need to configure your own antispam plugin(s). Depending on the site, you may be able to use Akismet for free, or you may need to pay. I like to use Antispam Bee and Bad Behavior together, but I'll warn you that Bad Behavior can be overprotective and cause problems. Be sure to read the documentation for configuring these.
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Chad,

Thank you for alerting me to the misspelled website address in my introduction. Thank you for your informative reply.

I still find it hard to determine if a comment is a spam or not. I have received quite a few positive feedback but most of them are in the Spam box. I hesitate to unspam it because I don't need a machine-generated compliments, if they are. I read that 98% of comments in the spam is spam. Is it true?

Anyway, I am looking forward to attend my first meeting at WPGR.

Lisa

A former member
Post #: 5
By the way, I will check out the articles you have mentioned when I get the chance! Thanks! Lisa
A former member
Post #: 8
I still find it hard to determine if a comment is a spam or not. I have received quite a few positive feedback but most of them are in the Spam box. I hesitate to unspam it because I don't need a machine-generated compliments, if they are. I read that 98% of comments in the spam is spam. Is it true?

I agree that about 98% of comments identified as spam really are. You can usually identify spam comments by their grammatical errors, vague wording, and self-promotion.