The Orlando Writers Meetup Group Message Board › Publishing Tips

Publishing Tips

Markelle A.
user 4223648
Orlando, FL
Post #: 9
Hello!
I'm finishing up my first draft of my first book and I need some tips on a few things so I can get a publisher and get this thing going! Here's what I need to know:
1. I need to know if I need permission to use the names of songs and movies in my book. I have a description of both in the book along with some language on how inspiring they are. (The book's about hope.)
2. I need to know what I can expect in the way of a a deal with the publisher regarding getting a percentage of the sales. What can I reasonably expect as a first time author?
3. I need to know to know whether I need to copyright my book before I submit it to publishers.
4. I need to know tips on picking a publisher or publishers to submit my work to.
5. Do I need to work out a marketing plan/target audience, etc. before I submit my work?
6. And lastly, I need to know how to format the document itself (double-spaced, how to package it, etc. I read where different sized documents should be packaged different ways. I have no idea if this is correct.)
Thank you all for any suggestions you can give me on this! I appreciate your help! -- Markelle
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi, Markelle --

There are no quick answers to these questions. Many of them are discussed in depth in writers' forums online, whole books have been written, workshops are given, and consultants --like me -- guide clients through the complexity of these issues. Here are some resources I recommend (I am assuming your book is nonfiction?):

FAIR USE/COPYRIGHT LAW: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html­

MANUSCRIPT FORMATTING: Formatting and Submitting Your Manuscript, by Cynthia Laufenberg

HOW TO MARKET TO AGENTS/PUBLISHERS: Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write, by Elzabeth Lyon -- PUTTING YOUR PASSION INTO PRINT, by Arielle Eckstut & David Sterry

Learning the "rules" and following them shows agents and publishers that you're a professional and increases your chances of being published.

Good luck to you in your endeavors!
Markelle A.
user 4223648
Orlando, FL
Post #: 10
Hi, Mary Ann!
This is so great! My book is a book about hope, so yes, non-fiction. Thank you so much for your suggestions and your support! I appreciate it so much! --Markelle