The Modesto Writers Meetup Group Message Board › Writing Outside Your Comfort Zone

Writing Outside Your Comfort Zone

Brenda W.
user 8577296
Modesto, CA
Post #: 7
Interesting coincidence… I have been promising the group I would write a love story (since I can’t stand those, usually) and a movie I just happened to be watching offered this key piece of advice:
Laurel and Dixon “Dix” played by Gloria Grahame and Humphrey Bogart in the movie IN A LONELY PLACE discuss what makes a good love scene. Laurel is talking about the screenplay Dix just finished:
Laurel: I love the love scene. It’s very good.
Dix: That’s because they’re not always telling each other how much in love they are. Good love scenes should be about something besides love. Like this one for instance. Me fixing grapefruit, you sitting over there dopey, half-asleep. Anyone looking at us could tell we were in love.
Later on, Dix suggests he and Laurel get married to allow the housekeeper more time to clean both their apartments and calls Laurel into the next room for breakfast with “C’mon dopey.”
Well…I don’t know if this is the best approach for romance-avoidant writers but it sure got me thinking…