Saturday, May 18
Antioch Library, 8700 Shawnee Mission Pkwy,
Merriam, KS 66202 (KC Metro Area)
(EPub Primer, May 11, 2:00-5:00 PM, Homer’s Coffee House, Back Meeting Room, 7126 West 80th ST, Overland Park, KS)
“I’ve been wanting to publish my book, but I don’t know how,” you say?
“I don’t want to pay big $$$ to have my book formatted and published—but I need help to do it myself!”
Novels, Memoirs, Short Stories, Poetry, Anthologies, Children’s Books, How-To’s, Nonfiction, Articles!
Get your stories ready! This is a one-time opportunity to ePublish your work on Amazon as a Kindle eBook, and as a print book through CreateSpace, with help from an experienced eBook formatter and ePublisher—FOR FREE ($250+ value)!
This workshop will help whether you are:
1. ready to ePublish (bring your laptop);
2. unsure (come to ePub Primer on May 11 to find out);
3. thinking about ePublishing;
4. already ePublished but had difficulty doing it.
Morning session (9:30 to 12:30)
—Formatting your manuscript for eBook and POD
Afternoon Session (1:00 to 4:30)
—Uploading your manuscript and cover to sell on Amazon and other Internet booksellers (eBook and POD) Kindle/Nook/iBooks/Smashwords/Sony/Diesel
You are not alone! Join us for a full, informative day. Walk in a wannabe—walk out an author! Info: [masked]
Morning Session (9:30 AM to 12:30 PM—BYO sack lunches encouraged)
1. Are you ready?
b. Front and back matter?
d. Book description (synopsis).
2. What are your options?
a. Kindle only eBook (Kindle Select?)
b. EBook through an “aggregator”?
c. Other “channels”?
d. Print options?
e. Print or eBook first?
f. What about Pricing?
3. Formatting your manuscript for eBooks
a. Kindle (Amazon eBook)
b. Nook Press—PubIt! (Barnes & Noble eBook)
c. Smashwords (eBook aggregator, ePublishing to B&N, Apple iBooks, Sony, Kobo, Diesel, etc.).
4. Formatting your manuscript for print (POD)
b. Others—Lulu, Lightning Source, etc.
Afternoon Session (1:00 to 4:30 PM)
1. Refresher on Options
2. Uploading to KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing)
a. Kindle Select?
b. Others (time permitting)?
3. Uploading to Smashwords (aggregator)
a. All Channels?
b. Selected Channels?
4. Uploading to CreateSpace
Caveat: We’ll go through all the steps. If you’re attending to learn what’s involved in ePublishing, how to ePublish at a later date, and for a better understanding of the ePublishing industry, the following aren’t necessary. However, if you’re coming to GET YOUR WORK EPUBLISHED TODAY, it must be ready, or you might not have time to actually upload your book and complete the process at this workshop.
To be ready and likely ePublish during this workshop, you should:
1. Have a complete, well-edited manuscript, with few typos and other grammatical issues, and saved in a version of MS Word;
2. Have at least skimmed over the following, free eBooks
a. Building Your Book for Kindle
b. Smashwords Style Guide;
3. Have a book description (synopsis) of your work;
4. Have accounts set up for the various online ePublishing and POD publishing platforms where you want your book published:
a. Kindle Direct Publishing (Amazon Kindle eBook);
b. CreateSpace (print on demand paperback);
c. PubIt! (Barnes & Noble Nook eBook);
d. Smashwords (ePublishes to all major Internet eBook-selling platforms—except Amazon);
e. Lulu (print on demand hardcover).
5. Bring a laptop computer with Wi-Fi connectability (we have free Wi-Fi connection at the library).
Bring NO money—neither plastic nor paper! There is no obligation of any kind and nothing to buy!
Walk-in’s are welcome, but seating is limited, so reservations are recommended.
For more info or to save a seat, contact:
Gordon Kessler, thriller novelist, independent editor and cover designer, at [masked]
Conducted in cooperation with Kansas Writers Association, Kansas Author’s Club District Two, Kansas City Writers Meetup Group, and my golden retriever Jazzy Brass.