Justin C.
user 38586302
Sugar Grove, PA
Post #: 24
Folks,

I got an email from 3L Publishing wanting to give a talk for our meetup, but I'm hesitant to do so based upon the Writers Beware blog: http://accrispin.blog...­

They want to give a free talk called "Anatomy of Storytelling," but I suspect they will be trying to get us to go with their vanity publishing house. Looks like a scam to me, but if anyone thinks differently, please let me know.

Regards,
Justin
Roger
rlkelley
Davis, CA
Post #: 10
Self publishing can be a legitimate way to go. But I think Justin is correct in thinking 3L Pub to be way less than how it wants to appear.

Please note that some writers, now well known and with publishers, gained their popularity after self-publication. Edna O'Brien comes to mind.

Here's a list of 5 ways to publication from CWC. I'm not quite sure exactly where 3L Pub fits, but it's in one of the middle three bins, definitely not the two extremes of traditional publishers nor entirely DIY.

http://www.cwcsacrame...­

Cheers,
Roger
Bob
user 38327032
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 50
3L is most definitely a vanity publisher. Even self-publishers say to steer clear of those. 3L runs a big writers group in Roseville called "Writers Who Mean Business" (you've probably seen them on Meetup. People who have attended the monthly events often say it was a waste of time, that the speaker spent the whole time pitching their product. The fact that 3L contacted us and offered to send a speaker is a huge red flag; t's supposed to work the other way around, where we try to line-up a speaker. The fact that they are offerring out of the blue just means they're trying to drum up business.
John M.
user 56355482
Davis, CA
Post #: 7
On that, it might be cool to have some of the very published writers that live in Davis come talk to us.