The Davis Writers Salon Message Board › Organizer fees?

Organizer fees?

Justin C.
user 38586302
Sugar Grove, PA
Post #: 29
I just tried organizing a local meetup for Western PA, and was surprised to learn there is a monthly organizer fee. Is Ryan footing a monthly bill? Or is this just for new meetups? There's a chance the Davis Writers Salon was grandfathered in. If Ryan is footing the bill, this may be something to fund as a group, especially since he doesn't directly benefit from meetups he doesn't attend.

Just thought I'd raise the discussion.
Kelly H.
user 41111542
Davis, CA
Post #: 39
I did some digging, and meetup has been changing 12-19 per month since 2005. So someone--I assume Ryan, or the organizer before him if they prepaid--is being charged this money.
I had no idea meetup charges and am rather disappointed to learn this. I know our meetup suggests donations but I always figured that was for the food, and Cindy always refused to take any newbie's money. Does any older member (MP?) know the history with this group's payment?
Justin C.
user 38586302
Sugar Grove, PA
Post #: 30
Weird, eh? I feel like I uncovered a conspiracy.
MP S.
user 12095581
Davis, CA
Post #: 47
Yes, Ryan has been footing the bill for us--he's a nice guy.

Hope he comes back to the group soon.
margo king l.
kavatwister
Vacaville, CA
Post #: 19
I'm happy to pitch in & pay for fees ... Ryan's the best, but not fair that he's fronting Meetup for all of us. mkl
Bob
user 38327032
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 53
The first meetup I was in (now folded) met once a month and everyone was required to contribute a small fee.
Roger
rlkelley
Davis, CA
Post #: 17
It was news to me till recently. I dug up a link that shows how it works. The fees, as Kelly said, range from $12/mo if paid in a 6-month lump sum, to $19/mo if paid monthly. The bill is to the official Organizer (not to the group) and can be paid ONLY by the official Organizer, who is Ryan. The Organizer can run as many as 3 meetup groups for the one price. Assistant organizers, co-organizers, members cannot pay the bill. See http://help.meetup.co...­ for more info.
Roger
rlkelley
Davis, CA
Post #: 18
I accidentaled (see an adjective, make a noun!) into this web page of our group: http://www.meetup.com...­

It looks like our Organizer is in arrears but a benefactor helped him out in June with $50, leaving him with a $244 debt.

If that is confirmed, I think we should help Ryan out, don't you? Let's put it on the agenda for tomorrow night. If we all chipped in a $Jackson, that would cut it way back, all the way if there were 12 contributing.

Roger
Roger
rlkelley
Davis, CA
Post #: 19
It was news to me till recently. I dug up a link that shows how it works. The fees, as Kelly said, range from $12/mo if paid in a 6-month lump sum, to $19/mo if paid monthly. The bill is to the official Organizer (not to the group) and can be paid ONLY by the official Organizer, who is Ryan. The Organizer can run as many as 3 meetup groups for the one price. Assistant organizers, co-organizers, members cannot pay the bill. See http://help.meetup.co...­ for more info.
Ryan
user 8145031
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 39
I accidentaled (see an adjective, make a noun!) into this web page of our group: http://www.meetup.com...­

It looks like our Organizer is in arrears but a benefactor helped him out in June with $50, leaving him with a $244 debt.

If that is confirmed, I think we should help Ryan out, don't you? Let's put it on the agenda for tomorrow night. If we all chipped in a $Jackson, that would cut it way back, all the way if there were 12 contributing.

Roger
I have no idea what that page means, but those numbers are from 2009. The dues are $72 every 6 months which are up to date. Nobody needs worry about it but me although I thank you for your concern. Move along, nothing to see here.