addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Murphy
user 8789631
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 3
Have any of you dealt with or heard anything about the Morningstar Shiba Inus owned by Joan Morningstar in Grants Pass, OR? I'd like to see what you guys think about this breeder, and feel free to PM or email me in case you have something negative to say, thanks!
Naomi
user 5090432
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3
I am actually waiting to get a shiba from Joan. I got her name from a local pet supply shop owner who has two of her shibas. She is quite thorough and will talk to you for some time before she feels ready to start talking about selling you a dog. She asks a lot of good questions, and encourages you to do the same. She will also buy your dog back from you - no matter how old it is - if you are unable to keep it or care for it any longer for any reason (moving, health issues, ect.). I was quite impressed by that.
Murphy
user 8789631
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 5
do you mean the pet owner personally owned them or that the person was selling them at their shop?
Naomi
user 5090432
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
No, no. The man who owns and runs the pet store owns two of her shibas. You can see their portrait when you walk through the door on the wall.
A former member
Post #: 62
Do you mean Scraps?

More of a pet supply place than a pet store. No animals for sale. Great "donuts" and "cookies" and "cupcakes" for our better halves... biggrin

A former member
Post #: 12
We got our second Shiba; Juneko from Joan. She was one of her show dogs that she was retiring. We are very pleased with Juneko, and Joan is very knowledgeable.
Naomi
user 5090432
Seattle, WA
Post #: 5
Do you mean Scraps?

More of a pet supply place than a pet store. No animals for sale. Great "donuts" and "cookies" and "cupcakes" for our better halves... biggrin

Yes! It is Scraps. I was walking by one day and noticed the large portrait on the wall. Dave is happy to talk to you about his babies. biggrin He actually had very good things to say about Joan, and gave me her info - that's how I found her.
Murphy
user 8789631
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 9
I'd like to hear any more thoughts on Joan and the Shibas she sells. Anybody else have anything they can tell me, good or bad?

Thanks
Lindsay
user 5939128
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 46
Everyone will have different experiences with different breeders. Personal interviews with the breeders and outlining your goals as a pet owner will help narrow down who you need to keep in your thoughts as a good breeder to buy/adopt from. Ask the breeders about each other and who they would recommend, also.
It is, in my opinion, a must to have a breeder with a thourough knowledge base who is willing to share their info, especially for a first time Shiba owner. It is also more important to me and to my future dogs that they are raised with a breeder who is 100% ethical in their breeding and rearing practice.
For those reasons, I personally am seriously pleased with Ike's breeder and in the end I am glad I went with San Jo.
Murphy
user 8789631
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 10
We spoke for a couple hours on the phone and I got the impression she had a very thorough knowledge of Shibas. She oozed passion for the breed and her dogs. I suppose my problem is that I am pretty darn gullible and it is easy to convince me of something if I have little data to say otherwise.

I too want to make sure that the person I buy my dog from is ethical and honest, but I suppose you can never know other than what you hear and experience. The reason I say that is because I have heard of a couple things that Leslie at San Jo has done and whos to say the person telling me was honest or not? However, San Jo has a great following and is one of the most respectable place to get a Shiba from.

If anyone does have anything good or bad to say about Morningstar, I would love to hear it. I am days away from sending a 50% deposit her way. Thanks