Denver "Yappy Hour" for a Cause Message Board › doggie skin issues

doggie skin issues

A former member
Post #: 39
My latest article on Ribeye's skin issues --- this is a great RX for dogs:
www.associatedcontent.com/article/3799­72/product_review_atopica_for_dogs.html

Does anyone else have a dog who produces large, and I mean HUGE amounts of flem? Ribeye was bred in Russia, and I'm starting to wonder if it's a breeding issue as we haven't been able to find anyone else with a similar malady.
A former member
Post #: 227
My dog's been biting & licking her legs lately. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to see if it's an allergy. I'll ask about Atopica. Thanx for the info!

~ Amit
A former member
Post #: 4
Amit,

Please let me know what you find out, my pug Rosie has been bitting on her legs. I thought it might be flea's so I bought flea shampoo and gave her a real good bath and a few hours later she was biting at them again.
A former member
Post #: 228
The vet says it's probably allergies to some pollen or some such thing. Fall is a heavy allegy season for dogs, and westies & golden retrievers are especially prone to allergies, I've discovered. Excessive scratching, leg-biting, feet-licking, etc. are all common symptoms of allergies.

Mishti was prescribed some Prednisone for the allergies. I asked about Atopica, but the vet said go with Prednisone, as it is tried & true, with very mild side effects (panting & drinking more water). For minor allergies, Prednisone is the way to go. After 15 days, the allergies should go into remission.

I'm going to give her a bath on Saturday (to use the shampoo before the pills to avoid any conflicts), and then start her on the pills come Sunday. If I don't post here again with some story about negative effects, you can assume the Prednisone worked.

~ Amit

By the way, those flea shampoos are a waste of money, and do nothing. The only flea remedies that are really effective are Advantix & Frontline. Advantix is a bit better product because it offers mosquito protection, as well. Check out a comparison here:

http://reviews.ebay.c...­

Don't waste your money on anything else.
A former member
Post #: 231
Just an update on the allergy issue...

I started Mishti on Prednisone, and the itching went away within a day! Good stuff!

Of course, she won't swallow the pills on her own, so I wrap them in a ball of soft cheese and feed it to her.

Her allergies seem to have subsided. So problem solved! biggrin

~ Amit
Chelsea K.
Herospets
Littleton, CO
Post #: 1
Typically if a dog is chewing their legs and feet, and/or is getting ear infections it is because they are experiencing allergies to their food. If they are producing a lot of phlem it could be an allergy to their environment or a food allergy.
Most pet foods are filled with junk that is toxic and promotes health problems. Many of the fillers are not only unhealthy and likely to promote allergies, but are also coated with chemicals such as mold inhibitors and pesticides that your pet could also have a negative reaction to. It is also likely that a low quality food doesn't have a sufficient quantity of Omega Oils. Omegas help regulate the health of the skin/coat, joints, brain and more.
Commercial pet foods have really low standards so to find a good one you need to do some research and that's the first place to start in fixing a problem.
While steriods and anti-histamines cover up the problem and make your pet feel better, it is still only a bandaid to your problem. Most drugs have negative side effects, like kidney or liver failure. So while your dog is more comfortable on the drugs now... down the road you exchanged your pets itching or coughing for severe kidney pain and illness.
If your pet has an external allergy (to a weed or otherwise) you can supplement with bee pollen and yucca tincture.
If your pet has a food allergy you can switch to a natural food (don't EVER purchase a pet food that you've ever seen a commercial for). Some websites that I recommend include:
www.api4animals.org
www.wysong.net
www.biologicnr.com
www.azmira.com
There are a lot more. I think they're posted on my website. www.herospets.com and feel free to email with questions. There is a lot to know but the point is that while steroids and anti-histamines are helpful for a temporary problem, they are not the solution.
Good luck.
A former member
Post #: 3
Here is a great article that explains alot about dog food and what's in it... and how it affects your dog in the way of allergies

http://pic3.piczo.com...­