addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Denver "Yappy Hour" for a Cause Message Board › Outbreak at daycares

Outbreak at daycares

A former member
Post #: 1
I was just informed of an mysterious outbreak at several daycares in Denver. Symptoms are vomiting and diarrhea and it can't be diagnosed. It can be fatal for immune suppressed dogs. My dogs haven't been to day care in several weeks and are not showing any symptoms and my daycare provider did the right thing by letting me know so I wouldn't bring them in. If you have more information, please share.
A former member
Post #: 1
I have not taken my dog to daycare in several weeks, however she has had diarrhea for over a week with occassional vomiting. I took her to the vet and they gave us antibiotics but didn't know what was causing it. Hopefully this will take care of it. If anyone has other info please post.
A former member
Post #: 167
Dogs vomit all the time, for a variety of reasons. The fact of the matter is, domesticated dogs are living in an environment that is unnatural to them -- the human environment. Domesticated dogs are subject to a foreign environment that is LIKELY to cause physical abberations. This, unfortunately, cannot be avoided. It simply comes with the nature of domesticating a wild creature.

That being said, I do not advocate immediate panic every time your dog displayes abberant behavior. What I DO ADVOCATE is:

1) OBSERVATION: Dogs are not like humans. They live close to the earth (something human beings have forgotten), and any health concerns can be easily detected by observing your dog's ABBERANT patterns. In other words, you know how your dog normally behaves. If it deviates from this behavior, only then should you be alarmed.

2) EMPATHIC ABNORMALITIES: You have moods. You know you do. Your dog does, too. If you're any kind of resposible parent, then you probably pay attention to your dog's moods, as well. Once again, aberrant moods are a sure sign of trouble. If your dog has had particularly violent mood swings lately, this is a sign to investigate the health of your dog in closer detail.

3) INTUITION: When you accepted your dog into your life, you accepted the responsibilty of caring for its troubles, no matter how obvious, or how subtle. In our modern, busy lives today, we often forget that we are responsible for creatures who know nothing of our modern concerns, and only live a simple life devoted to pleasing us. That is the very reason why we love our dogs. And also the very reason why any time you have ANY concern for your dog's health, you should take GREAT care to remedy any problem that my arise. Your dog can't tell you when it's ill, or when it needs help. It's up to YOU to intuit that on your own. Use your intuition.

Since I've run this group for the last 2 years, I've discovered that TRUE dog-lovers know when their dogs are in ill-health. This time of year is especially dangerous for dogs. Please take greater care in looking after your dog's health.

~ Amit
A former member
Post #: 3
As an owner of a dog with IMHA (an immune disease), all I can say is that Amit is correct. We caught Iggy's problem in time because I noticed she was acting differently. Don't be afraid to take your dog to the vet if you think something might be wrong. Most of the time, it's something that can be easily fixed. In any case, if your dog is vomiting or has diarrhea for more than a couple of days, I would err on the safe side and bring him/her in. Like people, dogs can get dehydrated which can lead to other problems. I check Iggy's gums on a daily basis. Pale gums and lethargy are some of the signs of an immune problem, as well as a host of other things.
A former member
Post #: 241
One of the most common signs of trouble in a dog is lethargy. Like humans, when your dog gets sick, its immune system will commandeer its body to fight off disease, forcing your dog to be low on energy and sleep much more than its usual amount. If you ever notice your dog being abnormally lethargic, you should be concerned. Lethargy is the surest sign that something is wrong.

Vomiting and diarrhea are definitely not good, but usually not fatal. My dog has had vomiting and diarrhea more than once, and usually because of diet, not disease. If my dog ever shows these signs, I give her some Pepto (yes, it's ok for dogs), with a cooking syringe (no needle), straight into her mouth, as most dogs don't like the smell of Pepto and won't willingly consume it.

Wait a couple days. If vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy persist longer than 2-3 days, take your dog to the vet. I like Maxfund Animal Clinic, as it only costs $30 or so for a diagnosis. If it's nothing, you've paid $30 for peace of mind.

In closing, let me say that I always listen to doggy professionals. If someone tells me there's something going around, I take it seriously. But I also can't live my life tilting at windmills for my dog's sake. I know when my dog is sick because I take great care to intuit my dog's behavior. The same way I listen to my own body's signals and needs...
A former member
Post #: 6
Our dog, Ruby, got sick yesterday after she had been at daycare for about an hour. We asked the daycare if they had heard anything about this "mysterious outbreak." They said they heard the rumor, but Ruby was the first dog to show any symptoms. We took her to Alameda East (the best emergency vet and supposedly one of the places that's been "warning" people about the outbreak). They said they had never even heard of it, and rumors like this get started all the time. Oh, and Ruby had eaten what was left of an old rawhide she found at a dog park. She's fine. :-)
Leah
user 7843827
Denver, CO
Post #: 8
About a month ago our dog started vomiting pretty constantly...we started observing and paying attention to when and what came up (gross, I know...sorry). But he was still eating and very active. Not lethargic at all.

One day he had blood in it and we immediately took him to the vet. Turns out he has Acid Reflex (who would have thought). If his stomach is empty for too long, it builds up acid and he vomits. (We fed him at 7 am and 7pm pretty constantly. Now he get 1/2 his dinner at 6pm and a 1/2 at 11pm. Plus we have added a nice meaty treat after his mid day dog walk)...Our Doc also told us dogs can build up lots of stomach acid when they are overly excited. Which we all know happens at doggie daycare.
Just a little sharing for the group,
Thanks!biggrin