addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Denver "Yappy Hour" for a Cause Message Board › More off leash dog tickets coming to parks near you... Act now!

More off leash dog tickets coming to parks near you... Act now!

A former member
Post #: 2
Policy decisions are being made right now that effect our and our dogs privileges by Parks and Rec. – they are going to limit our parks used and ticket us more!!!

For example this was sent yesterday (2/4/09) from the desk of Jeanne Robb, Council Woman and President of Denver City Council:

“In response to citizen input about wear and tear to park turf and dog, Animal Control and the Denver Park Rangers will be re-deploying some folks to add increased enforcement of the city’s leash laws in the coming months. All across the city, park turf is showing wear in areas where dogs play off-leash. So, heads up to dogs and folks in Cheesman or Congress Parks!

To increase education about what is and is not allowed regarding dogs in the park (and because the weather is getting nice), I plan to be walking through the parks speaking with constituents and will be handing out doggie bags to pick up pet waste. Hope to speak with you! “

- Jeanne Robb, Council Woman

The City of Denver needs to know how we, tax payers and users, FEEL about this issue. Please know that you can contact these people to let them know your thoughts on this issue – all email addresses are firstname.lastnameATdenvergov.org:

Kevin Patterson - MOST IMPORTANT PERSON!

Manager of Parks and Rec

kevin.patterson@denvergov.org

Jennifer Kovarik

Associate Parks Landscape Planner

Parks and Recreation

Jennifer.Kovarik@denvergov.org

Aaron McSpadden

Director of Animal Control

Aaron.McSpadden@denvergov.org

Doug Kelley

Director of Animal Control

doug.kelly@denvergov.org

Scott Robson

Parks and Recreation

Scott.Robson@denvergov.org

John Hickenlooper

Mayor

John.Hickenlooper@denvergov.org

Angela Casias

Manager's Office

angela.casias@denvergov.org

Raeann Gagne

Parks

raeann.gagne@denvergov.org

Patricia Salazar

Recreation

patricia.salazar@denvergov.org

Victoria Frazzini

Permitting

victoria.frazzini@denvergov.org

BeeGee Brem

Planning

beegee.brem@denvergov.org

Michelle Madrid-Montoya

Marketing and Communication

michelle.madrid-montoya@denvergov.org

Lori Biewick

Natural Resources

lori.biewick@denvergov.org

Denise Rodriguez

Safety

denise.rodriguez@denvergov.org

Tina Romero

Volunteers

tina.romero@denvergov.org
A former member
Post #: 6
If I understand correctly, your chief complaint is that people will begin to receive tickets for allowing their dogs to play off leash in parks that have no off leash areas and are not designated for that behavior. As a responsible dog owner and a true lover of dogs, I do feel strongly about the topic of dog and human safety. I don't want to stir up drama, but I want to express how frustrating it is for me as a responsible dog owner to take my dog to a park or out in the community and have dogs off leash in areas that prohibit this behavior. I am a tax payer and I feel that I have a right to go to all parks and enjoy them in the ways that they are zoned for use. This is not an issue of limiting use because your use for off leash dog parks has ALWAYS been limited to the parks that are zoned for off leash dog fun. This is an issue of compliance and mutual respect for public areas. I myself have to drive from my home in Lakewood to Highlands Ranch or Arvada to enjoy off leash parks because Lakewood does not have a designated off leash park. However, when I do go to parks in Lakewood that allow dogs on leash, I am sure to follow city laws and ordinances for the safety of other dogs and humans enjoying those parks.

If your complaint is that you feel your dog should be able to play off leash in every park in Denver, I respect that complaint and suggest you edit your post to rally people to write to their public officials and ask them for an expansion of the off leash dog park program, as it is incredibly popular with their constituents. If however, your complaint is that you don't think it is fair to be ticketed and fined for non-compliance of animal control laws in popular parks that clearly state on leash policies, I hope you consider revising your opinion. If anything, I will be writing to the posted public officials on your list and thanking them for taking the time to educate the community as to the importance of dog health and safety rules in public parks. We all want to be able to enjoy the Denver parks and I sincerely hope that we can enjoy them in the way in which they were intended for use.