Portland Metro Yoga Message Board › Yoga Supplies?

Yoga Supplies?

Thadius
user 10250399
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Does anyone know of were you can buy a yoga rug or other yoga supplies in the Portland area? I live NE, close to Providence Hospital, might there be any in the area?
I Bought a "black mat" recently off of a website, I don't know if its the "black mat" I've been hearing the hype about or an imitation. It moves a little when I'm practicing (on carpet) and I sweat a lot when I do yoga and the tractions not that good on the mat when I sweat. Sometimes I'm not able to stay in place, I'll slip. So I was thinking of buying a yoga rug. Would that solve the problem with the traction and slipping or does anyone have any suggestions?
A former member
Post #: 1
I've gone through several mats with the same problem. I've never found any mat or rug that was fully immune, but Yogi Toe towels work fairly well. What I have found also, is that newer mats tend to be more slick. I think after they break in, they hold better.
A former member
Post #: 2
hello and no problem. sorry for the delayed response. I don't know much about rubber mats, no. the mat that I have now I have been using for over two years now and I love it! unfortunately, I can't recall the company at the moment but it is starting to show some aging signs so I need to do a little research. I will definitely be getting the same mat. what I do know about it is that it was one of the first biodegradable mats made, if not the first and so, another advantage. it was a little slick at first and actually, kind of embarrassingly squeaky but after time it has been a great mat. if and when you get a yogitoes towel, a helpful hint: before you practice, sprinkle a little water all over it. this will help it stay until you get your own moisture on it. when I find out which mat I have, I will let you know. not sure how helpful this is but that's all I got right now :)
A former member
Post #: 4
I believe the yoga mat you are referring to is the Jade mat. I just bought one a while back and it is the least slippery out of all that I have tried. It's not perfect, but it's significantly better than most mats. I bought mine at The Bhaktishop on Division in SE Portland, I think it was around $35?