Young Blacks of the Bay™ (YBB) Message Board General › YBB's Guide to the Best of the Bay

YBB's Guide to the Best of the Bay

Astrid
user 13264107
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Hello Everyone,
YBB has a diverse mix of people and many of you happen to be new to the Bay Area. I'm starting this discussion so that members can share what they love to do in the Bay Area and their favorite places to frequent. Below are my recommendations. Please feel free to customize your list any way you want:

Best Restaurants:

Angelline's Louisiana Kitchen-Berkeley: My family comes from Louisiana and this is the most authentic Cajun restaurant that I've ever been to in the Bay Area. Great portions and the best comfort food that Louisiana has to offer.

Allegria's- San Francisco: If you like Spanish food, this restaurant has great hot and cold tapas and delicious paella.

Hair Salons:

JC Penney Salon at the Solano Mall in Fairfield: So Fairfield technically isn't in the Bay Area, but I go to a great lady named Donna who knows how to handle my thick and chemically treated hair. If you happen to go to her, she charges $47 for a wash and flat iron and $70 for a relaxer. Plus in the 2 years that I've been going to her, she's never cancelled.

Best Bars And Nightlife:

Trad'r Sam-San Francisco: Trad'r Sam may be a small bar in the Outer Richmond district, but they serve huge tropical drunks in large glasses. You could literally have a group of people drinking from one large bowl! Plus, the drinks are pretty cheap.

Somar Bar-Oakland: I just learned about this place recently and I like it. They have a good happy hour menu and they're located really close to a BART station.

Slide-San Francisco: This night club, located right next to Ruby Skye, used to be a speakeasy. There's no sign on the building but you can tell that it's a club based on the long line. There's no cover to get in and you can actually enter the club by going down a slide! This club plays top 40.

Night Life at the California Academy of Sciences-San Francisco: The only opportunity that I've ever had to drink and learn at the same time! Plus, they have really interesting topics and themes. This event occurs every Thursday.

Dave and Buster's-The Great Mall in Milpitas: This place is basically a Chuck-E-Cheese for adults. It's a fun place to go with friends.

Entertainment Venues:

Yoshi's- in both San Francisco and Oakland: I've seen shows at both locations and it's a great place to catch a show with either your friends or a date. You can also eat while watching your favorite performers which is always a plus in my book!

Museums:

The de Young Museum- San Francisco
The Asian Art Museum-San Francisco
The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art

Things That I Recommend Doing At Least Once While In California:

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge
Visit a Bay Area beach
Take a drive along Highway 1
Visit the capitol in Sacramento
Take a day trip to both Santa Cruz and Monterrey