Young Professionals Social Group Message Board › Important Request for the Young Professionals Social Group

Important Request for the Young Professionals Social Group

Michelle C
dmperk
Group Organizer
Newport News, VA
Dear members,

It is now officially Spring, a time for renewal and re-energizing. With that in mind, I am writing with an important request for the Young Professionals Social group. While our membership has continued to steadily grow, our number of events, and number of attendees at events, has not yet grown as much as I would like to see.

As you probably know, I schedule our monthly happy hour (next scheduled for Weds, 4/27, hope to see you there). We typically have at least one other event per month, and this has often been something that another member has volunteered to organize. Recently, though, other members have not stepped forward to organize an event. I would really like for this to change—I strongly believe our group will not only benefit but grow from expanding our events to include the diverse interests of our different members.

Membership and events are cost-free thanks to the generosity of our sponsors; this can’t be said for many meetup or young professional groups. And since we do not have to financially invest in the group, I think it is important to consider other ways in which we each can contribute. I believe that committing to attending or organizing an event will be a way to strengthen the investment in our membership, which can only help to further enhance who we are and what we have to offer.

So, I am asking that each of us please consider organizing an event for the group in upcoming months. For those of you who haven’t yet been to one of our meetups, I am asking that you consider coming out with the group to get a feel for us, and then think about organizing after that. Organizing an event is extremely easy—it is simply a matter of selecting something that fits with the spirit of the group, picking a day and time, and committing to being there yourself. You simply email me the idea, date, and time, and I will work with you to make it happen.

Our group is social primarily, with business networking as a secondary purpose. There are many types of events that would fit under that umbrella, and I am looking forward to hearing what you come up with. Again, I strongly feel that increased member involvement is what our group needs most right now, and I hope you will agree and take part.

Sincerely,

Michelle
A former member
Post #: 8
Once it starts warming up, I can organize beach volleyball at Buckroe, followed by Taphouse...always a good time!
Michelle C
dmperk
Group Organizer
Newport News, VA
Post #: 3
Awesome, Sally, thanks! It's been too long since I've seen you :)
Joe T.
user 13170527
Richmond, VA
Post #: 1
We bandied around some different ideas for meetup activities last Wednesday at Aromas - if anybody wants to take one and run with it:

- bowling (can't go wrong w/ Spare Times in Hampton, Allen Iverson's favorite alley)
- Tides or Pilots game
- UFL game (in case anyone is suffering from NFL football withdrawal this fall)
- brewery tours (I hear St George's in Hampton is cool)

if you have any ideas post 'em, and please respond to ideas so prospective organizers can gauge interest