GE: ecomagination Innovation Challenge Winners
GE would like to thank you and your fellow members again for being a part of a groundbreaking Meetup sponsorship around their ecomagination Challenge. This week, GE and its partners announced the 12 start-ups, emerging businesses and university ideas selected for investment as well as the five winners of their open innovation challenge. Here are details on the five Innovation winners:
- Capstone Metering: Intelligent Water Meters - Carrollton, Texas: Capstone Metering applies remote communications technology to the century-old water meter, delivering real-time water system management, which helps conserve water and eliminates the need for manual meter readings. (http://capstonemetering.com).
- ElectricRoute: Secure Communications Network for the Electric Grid, Salem and Hollis, New Hampshire: ElectricRoute created a communications gateway point for transmission and distribution systems. Its cyber-secure, communications network infrastructure eliminates duplicate sensors and thousands of copper lines running inside the substation.
- GridON: Controlling Power Quality in Electric Grids, Givatayim, Israel: GridON created a fault-current-limiter to protect the electric grid from disruptions and power outages, increasing the grid's reliability and enabling load growth and generation expansion from alternative energy sources. (www.gridonsystems.com).
- IceCode: Wind Turbine Blade Anti-Icing and De-Icing, West Lebanon, New Hampshire: IceCode's technology removes ice by using high-power pulses to apply heat from the inside out. Employing this technology for wind turbines substantially reduces the amount of energy used for de-icing and eliminates downtime for ice removal and inspection. (www.icecode.com).
- WinFlex: Inflatable Wind Turbines, Kiryat Yam, Israel: WinFlex produces rotors for wind turbines from light, flexible and inexpensive cloth sheets made out of composite materials. This flexible rotor design reduces installation costs by at least fifty percent and shortens the return on investment to three - four years, without subsidies. (http://winflex.co.il).
The challenge generated nearly 4,000 ideas and the participation of 70,000 entrepreneurs in more than 150 countries, all working on a local scale to solve a universal problem - tapping into the kind of power in numbers that Meetup members are quite familiar with. As Wired magazine's editor, and challenge judge, Chris Anderson noted, "the number and breadth of ideas we received was inspiring". Beth Comstock, SVP and CMO of GE agreed. "...The Challenge has demonstrated that many great ideas exist out there. The smart thinking and compelling business cases presented make these innovative, award winning ideas examples of pioneering entrepreneurship".
We encourage you to learn more about the Challenge winners and judges at www.ecomagination.com/announcements. Thanks again for participating in this sponsorship, any open collaboration is only as successful as its collaborators and we congratulate you on your contribution to the next-generation grid!
If you have any questions about this sponsorship, just let us know by replying to this email.
Thanks for using Meetup!
Add [address removed] to your address book to ensure that you receive emails from us.
You're receiving this message because (SBS) Small Business Success - SE Valley is sponsored by GE: ecomagination. If you don't want to get these emails or participate in this sponsorship change your settings here.
If you do not want to receive future sponsorship offers from Meetup HQ update your settings here and uncheck the box "Meetup HQ can contact me on behalf of sponsors".
Meetup Inc. PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York[masked]
DO YOU ZOCATE? ZOCATE.COM
revolutionizes and streamlines the way local business owners share, learn, and prosper.? It is the simplified solution to connect those businesses with consumers.