FREE MAJOR EVENT (100+ attendees expected)
Socializing & language exchange till 6 pm + optional dinner afterwards (depending on the interest level of attendees by then).
Location: Foodcourt of the Sheppard Center (lower level).
Welcome to join us anytime before 5 pm. You can leave earlier if need to. Just be upbeat, friendly, and respect other attendees.
We will have two main areas:
Area (A): One for socializing and language exchange in a casual setting
"Free-style" language exchange from 3:00-3:30, 4:30-5:00, and 6:00- pm. Kind of like TorontoBabel's style, but we do it in a food court, in a way that fits our group, where it's totally free without alcohols. Free spring water will be provided.
* An open space near "Second Cup".
* The three time segments are the time we allocate or switch language areas, and when the language event is about to end.
Area (B): Another follows a relatively systematic and organized procedure to facilitate effective language exchange among people originally from all over the world.
You are free to switch between these two areas and among language groups. See one of the Co-hosts for any assistance you may need.
(0) 3:00 pm (Signup & Allocation): Receptionists will set up a table with sign-up sheets and place signs on tables for various language areas as well as selecting an area as "Area (A)" for free talking & socializing.
(1) When you arrive, please sign up and
* (a) get a red sticker and write the native language (plus advanced languages) you can teach, and
* (b) (optionally) get a blue sticker and write the language(s) you like to learn in the order of preference.
(2) 3:30 pm (Round I Language Exchange): Go to the area assigned by a receptionist according to your birth birthday month if it is between
* (a) January and June, go to the area for the language you like to learn, or
* (b) go to the area for the language you can teach. *
* Next time we'll reverse the order for (a) and (b).
(3) 4:30 pm (Break + Mix & Mingle): Move to the open space near "Second Cup".
* You get to great more people during this period of time, mixed & mingle, or just go to the washroom, get a cup of coffee, or take a rest.
(4) 5:00 pm (Round II Language Exchange): By 5 pm, everyone move to a different language area
* (a) if you were learning, go to the area for the language you can teach, or
* (b) go to the area for the language you like to learn.
(5) 6:00 pm (Optional Dinner): Go for dinner/drinks depending on the consensus and interest level of the group.
* (a) "Mirage" on the 2nd floor where you can get 15% discount for our group.
* (b) Any restaurant the group likes (informally voted by attendees interested in joining the dinner by then)
* Note: If you know a good restaurant nearby and you can get a discount for us, please contact me. We can check out different restaurants and we'll pass the discount to attending members!
Check out a similar event in the past at
* FYI, 400+ RSVPs for the April meetup & 300+ RSVPs for the November meetup.
* BTW, welcome to join any of the following groups that interest you.
Participating groups: (RSVP #)
Study English in Canada (1,850+ members) (http://www.meetup.com/Study-in-Canada/): 96
Toronto Friends (2,200+ members) (http://www.meetup.com/Global-Network/): 43
Asian Friends (900+ members) (http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-ESL/): 53
Toronto Language Exchange (750+ members) (http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Language-Exchange/): 36
Toronto Entrepreneurs (2,500 members) (http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Entrepreneurs/) 58
TCX (1,400 members) (http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Chinese-Exchange/) : 54
(plus 50+ from other participating groups including Toronto Newcomers (550+ members) (http://www.meetup.com/Canada-Newcomers/) and International Friends (1,300+ members) (http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Friend), minus 12 repetitions)