Exploring the San Juans is one of my favorite day trips, and the weather this Saturday is forecast to be 50 degrees and sunny.
Let's go to Orcas Island ! This is a great day trip!
This time, let's also explore the west side Turtleback Mountain Preserve - Ship Peak Trail, Mt Constitution, Twin Lakes, and Mountain Lake on the east side.
With dramatic views of snow-capped mountains and scattered islands, the Ship Peak Trail is a favorite local loop trail. Open grassy hillsides and Garry oaks stretch out along a 2.9 trail ascending 860 feet. The South Trail crosses a stream, winding up to wildflower-covered slopes in springtime.
After about 1.2 miles you’ll reach the West Overlook, a perfect place to rest and savor a spectacular view from the comfort of a bench. Continue about .3 miles to the intersection with the Lost Oak Trail on the open peak, turn right on a short spur to the Ship Peak Overlook. Linger here to drink in the view and take panoramic photographs before returning to the Lost Oak trail by retracing your steps and turning right at the junction. Descend first through mature oak and Douglas fir forest, then denser, darker woods to the old road where you started.
after the hike lunch at Island Hoppin' Brewery .
06:00am - Green Lake P&R (South Lot)
07:15am - Anacortes Ferry Terminal (Catch 7:30am Ferry)
09:00am - Stop at Island Grocery
10:00am - Start Hiking
12:30pm - Lunch at Lookout
4:00pm - Doe Bay Hot Springs
6:00pm - Dinner in Eastsound
1. Saturday Only Option
07:50pm - Orcas Island Ferry Terminal
09:45pm - Green Lake P&R
Then end the day soaking in the Doe Bay Hotsprings ($15)
**One of the best reasons to visit Doe Bay is the sauna & 3 soaking tubs. Catch the ferry back to Anacortes.
1. You and you alone are completely responsible for your safety.
2. Discover Pass is required (one per car).
3. No dogs on this hike please.
4. Wear sturdy boots, have layers of clothing, poles (optional), bring plenty of water, snack, packed lunch, and anything else of 10 essentials (http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ten-essentials.html).
5. Please bring $30 for your driver (includes you and car ferry fare) and a bag for your muddy boots if you plan on being a rider.
6. Update your RSVP in advance if your plans change. A no-show and/or late cancellation and you won't be able to participate in my future events.
7. Finally, We will be needing drivers for this adventure. please let me know how many you take.- I will place you on the waiting list until we have enough drivers. You are not allowed to be a driver on my hikes if you text while driving. THANKS.
RSVP ETIQUETTE: Since we have limited space I ask that you be considerate of others and commit to your RSVP. Your no-show may prevent someone else from attending and you from attending other limited events like this.
• What to bring
• Important to know