Come on up to Jekyll Island, Georgia for a lark of epic proportions…perhaps a little hyperbole, but what the heck.
• Friday 6 pm: Campfire potluck…fellowship opportunity as we talk, eat, & drink!
• Saturday 10 am: Bike about 15 miles of the island’s trail system, including a lunch stop.
• Saturday 3 pm: Hike about five miles, half of which on beautiful Driftwood Beach.
• Saturday 6 pm: Campfire potluck…fellowship opportunity as we talk, eat, & drink!
• Sunday 9 am: Kayak about four miles on Fancy Bluff Creek; you will have time to check-out of the campground after kayaking.
• Please bring food and firewood to share at group potlucks on Friday and Saturday nights.
• If you can’t or don’t want to camp, please come up for the event(s) you desire without camping, and there are also cabins & hotels you can reserve.
Don’t delay; make your reservation today at Jekyll Island Campground. Please note they have a two-night minimum stay on weekends. Check out the campground map on the website (link below). I am staying on site H0 Friday & Saturday nights.
You can make your reservation online or by calling[masked]. In addition to the camping fee, there is a charge of $6 for a car and $10 for an oversized vehicle to enter Jekyll Island.
Campground website: https://www.jekyllisland.com/lodging/jekyll-island-campground/
1. In addition to signing up for this event on this A Lark About website, you must contact the campground for your actual camping reservation.
2. Check-in time is a firm 2:00 pm; check-out time is 12:00 pm.
3. Tents and RVs can share the same site with only one reservation as long as there are no more than six people staying at the site…buddy-up!
HOW DO I GET THERE?
• Plan accordingly, as it’s about a 1.5-hour drive from Jacksonville.
• On I-95 north, take exit 29 and head east on US-17 for 5.4 miles; don’t go over the big bridge!
• Continue right on GA-520 east for 6.6 miles to Jekyll Island.
• Once you pay the entrance fee, continue to the traffic circle and take the second right onto Beach View Dr. North.
• The campground will be 4.5 miles on your left.
BIKE OUTING & RENTALS
• We’ll start at 10 am Saturday from site H0. The bike ride, which will be at an easy pace, is about 15 miles and is almost completely on paved trails, with a small section on a hard dirt surface. We will stop for lunch at a restaurant after about 10 miles.
• There are no rentals available at the campground, but you can rent a bike from Beachside Bike Rentals. Their number is[masked] and their address is 60 S. Beachview Dr. at the Days Inn & Suites Hotel. I suggest calling ahead to make a reservation and reserving a multi-speed bike. If you reserve a bike, please allow enough time to pick up the bike and to be ready at 10 am.
• We’ll start at 3 pm Saturday from site H0. The hike is about five miles and is a mix of trails and beautiful Driftwood Beach.
KAYAK OUTING & RENTALS
• We’ll start at 9 am Sunday. We will meet five miles from the campground at the Jekyll Island Boat Ramp, located just past the Tidelands Nature Center at 100 S. Riverside Ave.
• There are no rentals available at the boat ramp, but Norm from Kingfisher Paddle Ventures will deliver kayaks to the boat ramp providing our group reserves at least four kayaks. His rates are $25/hr for single kayaks and $35/hr for tandem kayaks; you’ll be charged for two hours.
• Rentals include paddles & life jackets.
• If you desire to rent a kayak, please TEXT Norm at[masked]; when you text him please let him know your name and that you are with Ken and A Lark About and that you’ll need the kayak from 9-11 am on Sunday, May 19. His trailer holds eight kayaks, so make your reservation now!
• Wearing a life jacket/PFD on the kayak outing and a helmet on the bike outing is highly recommended.
• Suggest also bringing a hat, bug spray, sunscreen and sunglasses.
• Lastly, don’t forget your camping supplies and food!