Everyone, many of you already know that we're doing something unusual for next week's meetup. Before I explain it, I need to ask everyone to vote in a poll on our Meetup site to pick a location. We need plenty of room to do this, so I've reserved two places:
1. Mangia Pizza at Burnet and Duval. We were there last week, a lot of people came, we all liked it, and it was free (other than the food). But it's WAY up north, so I'm not sure who would be unable to come because of that.
2. Genuine Joe's on Anderson Lane. A lot more centrally located (but still north), but it costs $37.50 for 1.5 hours of room time. The good thing is, we can use our food and drink purchases towards paying that $37.50, but if we don't order enough to make that dollar amount, we have to pay the difference directly (which we do get back as a gift card, we could use that as a door prize I guess).
So please go vote (http://www.meetup.com/atxdm-org/polls/250104
) for which place you would rather do this meetup at. Now about the meetup itself: we're having a friendly, casual and fun Random Album Cover contest! Basically, you get random, made-up band names, album titles, and photographs and put them together in Photoshop (or whatever) to create fictitious album covers. Here's how you do it:
1 - Click http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
- The title of the first random Wikipedia article you get is the name of your band.
2 - Click http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3
- The last four or five words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album.
3 - Click http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days
- The third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.
4 - Use Photoshop or similar to put it all together.
So we're going to do this as a fun contest between anyone who wants to bring their laptop (with Photoshop, or some other graphics program) and participate. We also might be having a group of writers from Launchpad Job Club joining us, so we could pair up into teams, a designer and a writer, and have the writer come up with fictitious liner notes, an album review, or even lyrics!
Also, if any of you don't want to participate but can bring your laptop with a graphics program on it, please help us out and bring it!
I have posted examples of four random album covers I've made. You can see they range from serious to artsy to retro to just plain silly. http://www.meetup.com/atxdm-org/photos/1076226/
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY
", your message will be sent to everyone
on this mailing list ([address removed]
This message was sent by Fletch Brendan Good ([address removed]) from Austin Texas Design and Media
To learn more about Fletch Brendan Good, visit his/her member profileMeetup, PO Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York[masked] | [address removed]