addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Atlanta Gamers Guild Message Board New Locations › Any place in town?

Any place in town?

Scott A J.
user 65269272
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 6
Does anyone know any good ITP venues close to public transportation? The Secrets Factory mentioned below looks like it wouldn't be that hard to get to.

Am I correct that the only way to get to Giga-Bytes without a car is to take the bus to downtown Marietta and then walk 2 miles?
Tony R.
user 12737073
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 42
Hi Scott,

I don't think there are any game stores with space to game ITP. But, in theory anywhere where a group of people can be loud could potentially be a good venue.

For a while there some people started playing in Manuel's Tavern (off of Ponce de Leon; near Freedom Park) in Decatur. But It's been a while since someone has organized a game there. I also recall that there was a group playing D&D in a Borders Bookstore (also off of Ponce de Leon).

I think it all depends on someone planning a game that is interesting enough to attract players.

Drew O.
user 13592561
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 7
A few years back you could regularly find people in the Georgia Tech Student Center on Saturday afternoons gaming. There are some (on the order of 15) tables in common areas (building is open 7am-1am on weekends, 7am-11pm weeknights). Some of these tables are lower to the ground (think a coffee table) but have couches and whatnot around them. In recent years I haven't noticed many people gaming at Tech but then again I don't often find myself in the student center on Saturday. There is also a new building called the Clough Commons but I don't know about its access to the public.

I actually live in midtown 2 miles from Tech campus (I am a graduate student there) but I don't know many people that are in town (and that are currently unattached gaming wise). I found out about this meetup group and started trekking to Marietta a couple of times a month because it seems like that is where a lot of players are (and Giga-bites, which I wholeheartedly endorse).

Maybe I should start a thread just to find out who in the AGG is actually in town.
Tony R.
user 12737073
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 45

Maybe I should start a thread just to find out who in the AGG is actually in town.

I think that's a great idea! I love Giga-Bytes as well, but it would be cool to game ITP every once in a while.

Manuel's Tavern is a great location for gaming: the atmosphere is pretty lively and the food is awesome.
Scott A J.
user 65269272
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 7
Hi Tony and Drew, thanks for the response.

Drew- I'm in midtown about 2 miles from Georgia Tech too (Peachtree and 10th). In the intro there was recently another Georgia Tech person also. 
 I assume you are suppose to have a Georgia Tech affiliation but that probably isn't an issue during normal hours and you behave well?  The in town AGG topic sounds like a great idea? Should it go here or in general discussion? 

Tony- I'd like to run something starting after x-mass and will put up an announcement. Do you think there would be interest in another chuthluh game (using Trail of Chuthluh ) ?

Giga Bytes will be rough for me since I think it will be a 2 mile walk.
Tony R.
user 12737073
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 46

Tony- I'd like to run something starting after x-mass and will put up an announcement. Do you think there would be interest in another chuthluh game (using Trail of Chuthluh ) ?

One can never have too much Cthulhu gaming! I played the first chapter of the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign using the Trail of Cthulhu system (Gumshoe) a couple of years ago. I had a great time!
My only limiting factor is my schedule. I'm a full time Grad Student, so I don't have as much gaming time as I would like.

Drew O.
user 13592561
Atlanta, GA
Post #: 8
Drew- I'm in midtown about 2 miles from Georgia Tech too (Peachtree and 10th). In the intro there was recently another Georgia Tech person also. 
 I assume you are suppose to have a Georgia Tech affiliation but that probably isn't an issue during normal hours and you behave well?  The in town AGG topic sounds like a great idea? Should it go here or in general discussion? 

I think affiliation won't be a big deal provided like you said you aren't too disruptive. Heck, on football gamedays the alumni are super-disruptive all over campus. I don't think anyone would raise a fuss over people sitting and talking at a table. Most students study in the Library or the Clough building and there isn't really any building security guards checking student IDs (or I have never noticed any).

As for the topic, I think it would need to go in the general discussion for specifically a new game to be played in Midtown.
john
user 11240864
Stone Mountain, GA
Post #: 12
What about coffee shop gaming? It's a long time to sit at a table and not spend much money, but people sit in coffee shops for hours anyway.

I know of two that are within a few minutes of Marta stations:

• JavaMonkey in Decatur is a short walk from Decatur station.
  • Borders w/ Starbucks in Edgewood, a short walk from the Inman Park station in the Target/Kroger plaza

And while not a short walk, there's a San Francisco Coffee Company on Highland - close to Manuel's