addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

ALE-Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts Message Board General ALE Forum › Our First Meetup!

Our First Meetup!

Closed to new replies

A former member
Hello All,

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow night at 7pm.

Thanks to member, Hug Me, for his random number generator, the location is set for Perimeter Mall in Sandy Springs.  We will meet in the food court.  This may not seem like an ideal location, but for a first meetup, it is very easy to locate, don't have to pay for parking, and a diverse meal selection.

We will be going over many things in this meeting and you are on the ground floor of helping to plan the future of this group.  I'm excited to hear your ideas and thoughts.

I will bring a Meetup table sign so you all know where we are.

Quick note, there is no wifi offered at the mall.

Hope to see you there,
David Guerra

--------------------------------------­

Google Maps:
https://maps.google.c...­
A former member
Post #: 3
All,
I have a service call that is scheduled to start at 7pm and will be late to the meeting, or won't be able to make it if the call is a nightmare. But I'm looking forward to what the group will be about and had a few topics of interest.

1. Create a way to match inexperienced users with experienced users to accelerate the learning process. This could be accomplished in small groups or in one-on-one's. The point would be to address the "if I had known about that earlier..." situations, or a group dedicated to showing how to complete a LFS system. Details could be worked out if there is interest.

2. Taking on, or assisting with, a project of some sort. Maybe focus a block of time for 3 or 4 projects per year (one per quarter) to contribute help, either in development or documentation. Whatever the group feels would be worthwhile based on experience and interest.

3. What is the job market like in Atlanta for those interested in working with Linux full time? What are realistic expectations employers have for candidates? Is the LPIC track worthwhile, and will it really help in the job search?

The locations discussed are all convenient as I work off exit 12 and can swing by the southern locations easily.

Thanks!
Andy
Stanley
user 14360341
McDonough, GA
Post #: 1
I also have the same interest in an opportunity to work with someone more familiar with Linux as I am still rather new.

Any knowledge that I can contribute to better assist the group, i am available.