addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

ALE-Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts Message Board General ALE Forum › Greetings

Greetings

Closed to new replies

William C.
user 153156232
Woodstock, GA
Post #: 1
Hello everyone. I am happy I found this group (discovered the link from the ALE website). I used to run Slackware many years back (around 2002-2003), but then got sidetracked with other projects. It has been a long time, but my interest in the Linux kernel has returned full force. I've been looking for a User's Group that is open to people of varying skill-sets. This group seems promising. Right now I am in the process of converting my laptop to run Linux. I have been playing around with a Knoppix Live DVD to test the waters again, and following the guide at LinuxCommand to learn the Linux CLI. I remember some of this from days past, but am a bit rusty. I am trying to change that. A friend suggested I check out Arch Linux to use on the laptop. Been considering that, as well as various other 'flavors'.

I am about to start a new job in a couple weeks (not Linux related, but tech related). Once my schedule settles in I hope to be an active participant. I RSVP'd for the July 13th meet-up. Hope to see you there!

Also, for those interested, I found an Intro to Linux MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) that starts in August. I am enrolled (it's free!). Looks like it might be good. DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way connected to edX or the organizers of the course. I am just a life-long learner. :)

Thanks Andy for setting up this group.
JD
user 10669182
Marietta, GA
Post #: 5
Glad you found us!

Slackware - you like pain? I ran it for 4 yrs in the early 90s. Arch is about the same and best left for people with much more experience, who don't need for things to always work, IMHO. Rolling releases can be terribly inconvenient.

Stick with Ubuntu or Mint for the first few months and watch out for specialty distros that don't follow the rules. Of course, if there are special needs, then a special distro can make sense.

Anyway - come to the meetings and you'll find lots of people willing to exchange ideas. Some have only heard about Linux and others have been using it for over 20 yrs.
William C.
user 153156232
Woodstock, GA
Post #: 2
Thanks for the reply JD.

Regarding Slackware--it came on a CD when I bought the "Unix Bible" years back, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I did learn some things by installing it. I got it to run at least. :) I think the reason an associate of mine recommended Arch is because he knows I am trying to learn the "nuts and bolts" of the Linux kernel. Because it has less automation then, say, Mint, I will have to fiddle around with it more. In my case, this could be a good thing. I have a desktop running that *other* OS <G>, and am playing around with various Linux distros on my laptop. So even if I jack things up it will not be a disaster. I've already backed up all my data. I have a Knoppix Live DVD as well, and several other Linux iso files (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, etc.)

I plan on attending the meeting on the 13th. Looking forward to getting together! Thanks again for the welcome, and suggestions.