addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Message Board Movies, TV, Websites, Blogs, and Podcasts › The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce

The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce

George S
user 13502116
Little Rock, AR
Post #: 104
I am not sure how I got word of this book, but I ordered it and it came today, and I can't put it down.

The man is brilliant.
Here are a few of his definitions:

Corporation - n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.

Debt - n. An ingenious substitute for the chain and whip of the slave driver.

Deluge - n. A notable first experiment in baptism which washed away the sins (and sinners) of the world.

"...a Civil War veteran who established himself as one of the most influential American journalists...as well as a noted writer of short stories and comic verse."

Many of his verses appear in this book under pseudonyms which match his wit.

For those who don't want to order a book, his book is online probably in several places.
Here's one:
http://www.thedevilsd...­

Peace
geo
Brad N.
Brad_Norwood
Little Rock, AR
Post #: 43
it might be a free download at Project Gutenberg website.

Bierce disappeared in Mexico during the revolution....some say Pancho Villa tired of his company and shot him.

I thing Gregory Peck played him in a move: "The Old Gringo".

Bierce wrote that incredible story, "Incident at Owl Creek Bridge"