addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

ATX Entrepreneurs by The Tech^map Message Board › Internet Application Browser

Internet Application Browser

This message board is read-only.

Chris N.
chrisnystrom
Austin, TX
Post #: 12
Here is a link to the presentation that almost got me fired from Oracle:

http://66.136.217.10/...­

It is a powerpoint presentation. Basically I sent an e-mail to Larry Ellison, and copied the management chain. I pitched my idea as a way that Oracle could go from being the #2 software company to becoming the #1 software company. I never did hear from Larry, but my manager had a lot to say about it. I guess they did not like me sending e-mail to Larry. The funny thing is in the employee handbook, in a section titled "Open Door Policy", they specifically say that if anyone has any ideas to go ahead and submit them to senior managment (hence "open" door).

I would be interested in any comments that you have about it.

Chris
Chris N.
chrisnystrom
Austin, TX
Post #: 13
I was asked at the meeting about technical evidence of problems with competing technologies.

Here is a recent article about major problems with the Microsoft offering .NET:

http://www.ddj.com/do...­

and some discussion on this article:

http://developers.sla...­

Chris
A former member
Post #: 4
Chris, I viewed your complete web site presentation. I'm in awe at the scope of your project and your insight into the direction of the computer world. I must admit up front that I am intimidated.

I have not given extensive consideration to the project but will talk off the top of my head if you don’t mind.

You need to give consideration to how you might be competing with Microsoft. To circumvent their applications will not be easy. Big companies with finished projects have been easily destroyed by Microsoft.

Are all programs and applications immediately compatible in all communication respects?
Do you complement or compete with Microsoft and other established software giants?
Will your system be thoroughly protected by virus and ad-ware threats?
Can you circumvent the proprietary and exclusive control Microsoft has over their own operating system in conjunction with application programs running on top? Can you maintain this compatibility in real time as Microsoft updates their operating system on a daily basis?
How easily could Microsoft move in exactly the same direction and compete with you? I believe they are moving in that direction now.
Can you really put a team of players together to pull the whole project off successfully?
Will the general public move to your way of doing things?

I think you need to figure out everything an online application server can do that we cannot do now. Then figure out which of these functions the general public needs that is not in competition with the existing software giants. I suspect there is a nitch you can capture and maintain. I personally would like to sample a variety of programs on-line where it does not write to my registry files or send me any bugs. I do not want to be forced to remove anything from my computer after I've taken this application program tour. I also realize the application program would not be completely operational until I buy it and download it and let it write to my registry files. You would get your profits from the sale of other software being displayed on your site.

Another issue is interactive communications. How can you improve communications and joint projects of people in different parts of the world? You can go far beyond video conferencing, list servers and online databases with your idea.
Chris N.
chrisnystrom
Austin, TX
Post #: 18
Chris, I viewed your complete web site presentation. I'm in awe at the scope of your project and your insight into the direction of the computer world. I must admit up front that I am intimidated.

Nothing really to be intimidated about. I have not really achieved anything, yet, but like everyone else here I am working on it.

I have not given extensive consideration to the project but will talk off the top of my head if you don’t mind.

Sure. That would be great.

You need to give consideration to how you might be competing with Microsoft. To circumvent their applications will not be easy. Big companies with finished projects have been easily destroyed by Microsoft.

Clearly Microsoft is the big predator in software. The big advantage I have right now is my size. I am just 1 guy with an idea, and some code. I am far too small for them to notice at this point.

The second advantage I hope to have is that I hope to leverage the open source software development model. There are a number of products and projects making significant progress against Microsoft using this development model (such as, Linux, Apache, Firefox, etc). The key is developers, and this model can potentially bring more and higher quality developers, and move quicker than even Microsoft can.

The third advantage I have is that strategically Microsoft will not want this to happen. Their whole business model is based on selling one (or more) piece of software per computer, and a technology such as I have described will confound that. For that reason, I believe even when they become aware they will not want to move quickly into the direction that I am going.

Are all programs and applications immediately compatible in all communication respects?

No, and in fact none are, but this is true for all internet applications, such as Java, .NET apps, Flash, Web services, etc.

However, again developers are the key. For this reason I am working on making my system as easy as possible for the developer.

For example, to write programs that make use of the Java system, you almost have to use the Java programming language, whether or not you like the Java programming language. With my system you use the known and loved C language. With a C language library it will be easy to create bindings for most any other programming language that you wish to use.

The second thing I am doing is I am trying to create a simple, elegant, yet powerful Application Programming Interface (API). These are the procedure calls needed to create the applications. Again the idea is to attract developers.

Do you complement or compete with Microsoft and other established software giants?

Of course these companies do more that one thing, so in some ways it is compettive, and in some ways it is complimentary. With Oracle, for example, it is very complimentary. Sun is more of a hardware company, so even though it is competitive with Java, I would say it is complimentary with Sun, although I am not sure Sun would agree. It might be the death of Microsoft, if it were to take off significantly.

Will your system be thoroughly protected by virus and ad-ware threats?

Yes, and in fact it basically solves this problem. The whole problem with Viruses and ad-aware, is that these things run on your computer. With the system I have described in my paper, the programs run on a server, and it simply displays on your computer. There is no opportunity for a program to install itself on your computer.

This may be a big selling point when you want to sell application access.

Can you circumvent the proprietary and exclusive control Microsoft has over their own operating system in conjunction with application programs running on top? Can you maintain this compatibility in real time as Microsoft updates their operating system on a daily basis?

Yes, and yes. There is no need for any special operating system hooks or calls, that somehow Microsoft could deliberatly interfear with.

Also, I envision the application itself to have a real-time updater.

How easily could Microsoft move in exactly the same direction and compete with you? I believe they are moving in that direction now.

If you mean in the direction of internet applications I believe you are correct. However I believe they are of the crippled web variety. I have not seen any discussion of a true internet application system such as I have described.

For example, if they re-wrote MS Word to be an full blown internet application, and I bought it and installed it on my computer, then my mother who lives across town could use it to write a letter, without owning the program. Microsoft does not want this, because the want to sell my mother her own copy of MS Word instead.

Also, if Microsoft does take an interest in what you are doing and perceives you to be a threat, they may make an offer to buy you out. That is a possible exit strategy.

Can you really put a team of players together to pull the whole project off successfully?

I hope so. I am working on it. I am talking and networking as much as possible. I realize that this is a key to success.

Will the general public move to your way of doing things?

I believe so. This web board that we are using is a program on the server. The messages are stored on the server. However, since it uses the web, it is limited in what it can do. You can easily see this when you compare what a web application looks like compared to a local application on your computer. I believe this is an artificial limitation because the web was designed for documents, not for program execution. I believe that if the right system were in place, a system designed from the ground up to run applications, then internet applications could be just as rich as local applications.

I think you need to figure out everything an online application server can do that we cannot do now. Then figure out which of these functions the general public needs that is not in competition with the existing software giants. I suspect there is a nitch you can capture and maintain.

Actually I believe the software giants are not as big of a threat as they used to be, and in fact they need to be more worried about the small guy with a good idea. A small team of motivated crack developers can move faster than the software giant, and can in fact cause a paradigm shift that can kill the giant. Microsoft is having big problems with Linux, for example.

I personally would like to sample a variety of programs on-line where it does not write to my registry files or send me any bugs. I do not want to be forced to remove anything from my computer after I've taken this application program tour. I also realize the application program would not be completely operational until I buy it and download it and let it write to my registry files. You would get your profits from the sale of other software being displayed on your site.

Actually, after the paradigm shift, it would be more like you paid a small monthly fee like your cable bill, and you got access to an account on a server that would have a large variety of applications (productivity, games, etc). You could use any or all of the applications as much as you want. They would be full versions, not trial versions. There
Chris N.
chrisnystrom
Austin, TX
Post #: 19
There seems to be a message size limit. Here is the rest of my post:

I personally would like to sample a variety of programs on-line where it does not write to my registry files or send me any bugs. I do not want to be forced to remove anything from my computer after I've taken this application program tour. I also realize the application program would not be completely operational until I buy it and download it and let it write to my registry files. You would get your profits from the sale of other software being displayed on your site.

Actually, after the paradigm shift, it would be more like you paid a small monthly fee like your cable bill, and you got access to an account on a server that would have a large variety of applications (productivity, games, etc). You could use any or all of the applications as much as you want. They would be full versions, not trial versions. There would no need to download them. They would work on the server, and display on your computer. There would be no need to write in your registry, and nothing to un-install if you were to switch services.

Another issue is interactive communications. How can you improve communications and joint projects of people in different parts of the world? You can go far beyond video conferencing, list servers and online databases with your idea.

Yes, the whole internet would be a far richer experience.

I can not say what the future will bring as far as my idea, and its business prospects, but I am fully convinced that computers will work this way in the future.

For example, even with the limited capability of the web, many people are using a web based e-mail client now (such as gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail, etc). It is just too convient to be able to access your e-mail any place there is a computer connected to the internet. I believe that once a good system is in place to do rich applications, basically most people will opt for internet applications instead of local applications, such as they do now for e-mail.

You had alot of good points. I hope I have done a good job elaborating.

Thank you for your feedback,

Chris
Chris N.
chrisnystrom
Austin, TX
Post #: 25
In a continuation of the question "What are the indications that the current solutions are inadquate?", please read my latest blog entry (March 22) for a discussion of the problems with web services:

http://conversazione....­
A former member
Post #: 5
Chris, let's talk in person at the Entreprenuerial meetup. Your endeavor is vast in my opinion and should be discussed in more of a live interactive process. You have the skill and the interest. As with any entreprenuer I hope you are aware of what the market will bear. Marketing is not my expertise but I have come to respect it.
Chris N.
chrisnystrom
Austin, TX
Post #: 27
Great. Looking forward to it.

Chris
A former member
Post #: 6
Chris, it would be nice if we could have a discussion with likeminded people who have entrepreneurial interests similar to yours. Even if an idea does not work, it might prompt tangent schemes that will fly. A discussion of this nature would exercise the entrepreneurial spirit in those interested in venturing out on a limb in the pursuit of an independent group endeavor.

I assume we are at this entrepreneurial meeting because we don’t have the money to buy the people we need to make our ideas happen. Therefore, we should put together a list of relevant questions to discuss.

Some questions might be:

Can we describe the scope of the project in detail?
What might be some related ventures this project would generate?
What resources do we have?
What resources do we need?
How many people will it take?
What are the qualifications of each person?
How much versatility do we need as a group and as individuals in the group?
Where do we work at?

How will the project generate money?
What expenses will exist before profits are made?
Who will pay for resources needed prior to the generation of a profit?
Who takes their profits from the success of the business and who gets paid in advance?
Can each individual support themselves until the business generates income?
How do we manage our personal lives once we are billionaires?

This list of questions could fill a book so add a few more to it and we can discuss it at the next meeting. Perhaps we could announce upfront the nature of our subject so people with other interests won’t be caught in a subject they are not interested in. What would be a good title for the subject?

Jerry
jspr@austin.rr.com
A former member
Post #: 1
Chris & Jerry,
I've been following your track with some interest.

Jerry brings up some good questions (especially the last question ;-) in his latest post.

Regarding discussions at the meeting. Each entrepreneur needs to consider these questions and more in light of their own projects. My suggestion would be to make a list of questions and propose to the group that we discuss or consider one per meeting. This would give some purpose and flow to the meetings. And we need to limit discussion time both for individuals and topics. Then maybe at the end of the meeting we can decide on the question for the next meeting.

Would that work for you?

Russell