6050 Lowell St #214, Oakland, CA
This certification class* will cover basic, safe use of the table saw in the AMT Woodshop.
It is appropriate for both novice and experienced who have not taken a course covering table saw safety and best practices or otherwise have explicit knowledge of table saw safety and best practices.
Class will include:
• Core safety rules, including when to use another tool and required gear
• Parts of the Table Saw
• How to inspect and configure the saw prior to use, including dust collection
• The Splitter, Guard & Anti-kickback Pawls, Pushsticks, Featherboards, and other devices that can prevent disaster
• Kickback - what it is, why it happens, and how to avoid it
• Essential Operations: rip cuts, crosscuts, crosscuts with the sled, miter and bevel cuts
• Safely responding to problems during cuts
• How to leave the saw ready for the next user
• Hands on practice as time allows, with priority given to novice or fearful users
• A brief survey of certain special cases, as time allows
• No long sleeves, baggy clothing, drawstrings, jewelry etc. that may get tangled in machinery
• Tie long hair back
• Closed toe shoes
Things we wont teach you in this class:
• Common sense
• Advanced uses and special cases
• Your bedtime and other limits
• How to avoid all possible risks
Materials are provided and loaner hearing protection and safety glasses will be available. There will be approximately 1 hour of discussion and 1 hour of hands-on practice.
*This is one of two paths to obtain the certification required to operate the table saw in our shop. Learn more about the AMT woodshop.
Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.