What we're about
The Dedham School of Music cordially invites you (and your friends!) to join us for a growing series of Acoustic Jams and musical events. We rent "The Classroom" at the Mother Brook Arts and Community Center (the old Avery School), 123 High Street, Dedham Massachusetts and use our space to play, promote and enjoy music in all its forms.
For novice players - or those who want to start learning Bluegrass - or for shy people - we offer a Bluegrass SLOW JAM the SECOND Tuesday of every month from 7:30 - 9:00 pm. Taught by longtime Bluegrass banjo performer George Chapman and fiddler Pat Rooney, in this 2nd Tuesdays Slow Jam we sloooowly play through simple traditional Bluegrass songs, offering guidance and encouragement as we go. We make this the safest possible place to get comfortable playing with others. Players of all levels are welcome and we take special care to provide guidance for beginners and casual musicians. We are all acoustic, and all are welcome.
More advanced players can join us every 4th Sunday 7:00 - 9:00 pm for our Intermediate Bluegrass Jam. With a number of our Slow Jammers learning and playing songs in regular tempo, we started this Intermediate Bluegrass Jam. It is intended for players who
• are ready for MORE Bluegrass enjoyment
• know a half dozen (or more!!!) favorite Bluegrass songs or fiddle tunes
• can play those songs by heart (no notes) and (mostly) up to speed
• want to learn more complicated tunes and/or techniques from fellow musicians
At the INTERMEDIATE JAM we expect that you will
• learn to play instrumental breaks on selected bluegrass songs or fiddle tunes
• pick up simpler bluegrass songs by ear or by watching the guitar chord changes
• bring and play traditional Bluegrass songs . . . not blues . . . nor rock . . . nor even Dylan
All our Jams are free . . . we "pass the hat" to help cover our rent and expenses.