Over 3 months John Le Drew recorded over 60 hours of interviews and spoke to some of the most respected people in the industry to produce an audio documentary that attempts to answer the question “What is safety? And why is it important anyway?”
This highly interactive talk will present the findings and guide and challenge you through a journey to understanding safety. Including short interactive sessions and role play exercises to cover the following topics:
- What is safety?
- What is a team?
- What is the definition of an effective or high performance team?
- What are the elements that make a team effective?
- Is psychological safety the foundation to team performance?
- What can we all do to help foster psychological safety in our teams?
- What is the relationship between safety, stress and engagement?
- What is the profound impact of a lack of safety and engagement on society?
This talk has grown as John created the new podcast The Agile Path. The first season on this podcast (which will launch in Jan 17) is about safety in teams. John has interviewed world renowned specialists in the field; Christopher Avery, David Marquet, Jerry Weinberg, Esther Derby, Johanna Rothman, Woody Zuill and many more in over 60 hours of audio. This has been a fascinating deep dive learning experience for John and he hopes to explore these insights with the audience.
- Understand the definition for psychological safety and explore it's meaning.
- Understand what a team really is.
- Understand the five facets of an effective team.
- Understand why psychological safety is foundational to team effectiveness.
- Understand some of the key signs of unsafety in teams.
- Understand the relationship between safety, workplace stress and engagement (using the JD-R model).
- Understand the impact of low safety, low engagement workplaces on wider society.
John has over 17 years of experience working in software engineering as a system administrator, software engineer, technical lead, technical director, development manager and agile coach. He currently runs the consultancy firm Wise Noodles here he helps organisations solve tough technical problems by untangling their people problems. He is also host of The Agile Path Podcast which creates in-depth audio documentaries on the topics that most affect organisations transitioning to agile ways of working.