ABQ Homeschool Park Group exists to provide an authentic and welcoming community for its homeschooled children and their parents. We are first and foremost a social group. Our primary and unifying activity is a weekly park day on Thursday afternoons.
To determine if we are a good fit for your family, start by reading our expectations below.
Families who are new to homeschooling often have many questions and concerns about the process. Our members are open to sharing a variety of perspectives about homeschooling-related topics with you in conversation at the park. Hope to see you at the park soon!
Expectations and Member Information:
1. In order to foster a sense of community in the group, attendance at our weekly park days is expected at least once a month, but hopefully you'll want to come every week. ;-)
2. Members are welcome to organize field trips and other activities as desired.
3. So that we can more easily identify each other when online, we request that your user name consist of a parent’s first name and first initial of the last name. We also ask that the parent's face be in the profile picture as well.
4. Note that our primary online communication is done through Meetup. Please make sure your profile is set to receive email notifications for group announcements and changes. Also, frequently check our discussions page and your private messages, because there may be important information and fun activities posted there.
5. When people gather there are bound to be disagreements, however our discussion page is not the place to address conflict within the group. We ask that conversations of this nature occur proactively, in person, with the person/people directly concerned, in a spirit that prioritizes the well-being of the group as a whole. Also, our discussion page is not the place to engage in discussions of a political or religious nature.
Membership is open to homeschooling families who share these priorities.
Homeschooling here is loosely defined. Members may be full- or part-time homeschoolers. We welcome members of APS Family School, New Mexico Connections Academy, as well as people who have homeschooled their children and are homeschoolers at heart but whose circumstances temporarily interfere with their ability to choose this option.