addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Android - Alameda Message Board › Meetup details changed: Android Class: Group Projects and Homework Assignments

Meetup details changed: Android Class: Group Projects and Homework Assignments

Stephan B.
StephanBranczyk
Group Organizer
Alameda, CA
http://www.meetup.com/AndroidClasses/events/18226461/­

When: Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:00 PM

This Thursday night, we'll just have a regular meeting.

We'll help newcomers troubleshoot their Android SDK/Eclipse set up and we'll assign Android programming homework to ourselves due for the following week.

As group projects, I'd like some of us to start converting existing Android applications to Android 3.0 (either some existing open source Android application, or one of your own if you already have one). These group projects are not meant to replace the talk that will be given by Hod on June 23rd, but instead they're meant to make us start thinking about the work involved in the conversion process and help us be more attentive by the time his talk comes around. Each group will just get 10 minutes to present their findings on June 16th.

And if you can't find someone with an Honeycomb tablet to be part of your group, or if this type of group project is not to your liking, I'll have a list of smaller bite-sized topics that you can pull randomly out of a hat, that you'll just have four minutes to present on - on June 16th (or if June 16th doesn't work for you, at some other pre-determined date).

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Stephan,

What is the best Honeycomb tablet to hack on ?
Stephan B.
StephanBranczyk
Group Organizer
Alameda, CA
Post #: 25
Hi Stephan,

What is the best Honeycomb tablet to hack on ?
Andre,
By hacking, I'm thinking that you mean, the best Honeycomb tablet to program with.

With that assumption in mind, I'd say any tablet that has been updated to 3.1 at least, the Xoom has 3.1. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 just got that 3.1 update within the last week (previously, it was at 3.0.1 and some basic things were missing).

You should get the Xoom if you want the full HDMI mirroring functionality (which can be nice for app demos, assuming you have access to an HDMI Television or an HDMI projector, like we have at the library, and get a good micro-hdmi to hdmi cable).

And you should get the Samsung Tab 10.1 if you prefer the lighter form factor. There are probably other Honeycomb tablets that have 3.1 by now, and other criteria to watch for, but to be frank, I haven't really been keeping up with all the models. You should ask Lawrence the next time he comes to the meeting.

But basically, any Honeycomb tablet will allow to side-load applications with it, even non-developer tablets, that's one of the main requirements Google has for all the manufacturers who want to connect to the Market and officially use the name.

Stephan