addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Android - Alameda Message Board › Design approach for my first Android App

Design approach for my first Android App

A former member
Post #: 1
So, I missed the Proto night meetup and wasn't able to attend the last meetup, now no more meetups. I need some help and I posted on one site and tried IRC chat, but no takers. Not sure if I am just not clear or if this is just a duh scenario. Anyway maybe you could help.

Ok, so I am making this app using the ZXing barcode scanner and I am checking the scan result against some data to see if the bar code is in the approved list. Unfortunately, at this time the data sets are only available to me in several PDFs which have the data broken down as UPC, Description, Etc,Etc. These PDFs will get updated quarterly or semi-annually, so I am thinking my best approach is to get the data from the PDFs and pre-populate them into a SQLite DB?

Does this seem right, I assume when the contents of the scan are given I will just query to see if the UPC is in the SQLite DB and then from there use the other items as needed. My problem is I don't know how to easily populate the data and I am assuming when the updated PDFs come out I will just need to check if the data is still in my DB otherwise delete it or add it to the DB.

Right now I took the PDF and saved it as text and manually deleted all the excess information and added the edited text file to my project. This works, but I don't think it is the best approach. Since I am just parsing the data for the match on the UPC I probably don't even really need to edit the text files and I could use split to get the content of the line and break it up to have all the fields within that line, but I suscept I would need to add delimiters of some type otherwise I probably won't have the information quite right all the time.

Or is there a completely different approach I should be taking? Since I am using ZXing I could tap into all its existing code I am sure, but I don't know that I will need it other than maybe utilizing a google search, but I think I can do this with my own code later as I am trying to make this app not need to use the internet at all eventually.

Thanks in advance, I think I am on the right path just given the scale of this app I want to be sure I setup it correctly at the start, so I don't hurt myself in the future. Worst case my initial approach will work for a prototype.