***I am posting this meetup to A Vegan Life also. Since space is limited, please sign up in only one place, thanks!***
The Wild Animal Sanctuary is the oldest and largest nonprofit Sanctuary in the US dedicated exclusively to rescuing captive exotic and endangered large carnivores, providing them with a wonderful life for as long as they live, and educating about the tragic plight faced by an estimated 30,000 such animals in America today. The entrance fee is $15 for adults and $7.50 for children ages 3 - 12.
Their website is http://www.wildanimal...
Sunset tours here are amazing! If you can't be there at 5, it's fine to come a little late, just keep in mind that they close at 8:10 PM sharp.
We are scheduled for a group visit. One of our members, Julie, is a dedicated volunteer at TWAS, and she will be giving us a tour. She will walk with us and tell us more details about the sanctuary and how some of the animals got there.
How about having a little picnic towards the end of our visit? There is a nice picnic spot above the gift shop where you can often watch the wolves howling as the sun sets!
Directions to the Sanctuary from Denver: Take I-76 North East (towards Ft Morgan) - take exit 31 (town of Hudson) - Turn right at top of off-ramp heading east on HWY 52 - go 4 miles east to CR 53 - Turn right and go 3 miles to Center's entrance - follow signs to parking lot.
We will all meet in the Welcome Center, as no loitering in the parking lot is allowed. Please be there at least 5 minutes before 5 pm.
Here are the rules as sent to me by the sanctuary:
1. There is NO Smoking Allowed, and there are NO Dogs Allowed anywhere on the premises.
2. When you arrive in the Parking Lot, please DO NOT STAND or GO NEAR the fences that surround the animals habitats or loiter in the parking lot, but go into the Welcome Center (or restroom as needed). We ask that you respect the animals territory by NOT standing near the fences.
3. Groups with children need to keep together with their chaperones AT ALL TIMES. We ask that the adult chaperones be aware of your group of children, as it can be easy to become so entranced with what the animals are doing that its easy to lose sight of the children and their whereabouts. We require 1 Adult per 3 Children (or 1 Adult per 5 Children with prior approval.
4. NO Running, NO Loud Voices, and NO Yelling allowed.
5. Small children not in strollers must be held, or have their hands held by an adult at all times.
6. As you drive in to, and out of, the Sanctuary, PLEASE obey the signs that say NO Stopping and NO Getting Out of Cars to Observe or Photograph the Animals.